Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Just a personal thought ......    

Just a personal thought ......

evadp75
Romania

Just a personal thought ......

Yesterday I read a post on the board, which I must say surprised me quite a lot. Someone (names do not matter in this case)was complaining about the fact that some members are taking up space on the forum, saying "Good Night" or "Good Morning". What surprised me was the fact that that person was from the States. I worked for 3 and a half years on cruise ships in the States, as a bar-tender (and I am not ashamed of this, even though I have a university degree in English language and literature and I used to work as a teacher prior to leaving for the States - Romanians might understand my reasons for doing such a job). The surprise came from the fact that throughout the time I worked there, I came to the conclusion that Americans are the most socializing people I have ever meet. And I am not seeing this as a negative feature. On the contrary! Trust me, I worked with people coming from all over the world: Europe, Asia, Latin America. You name the country, and I will find someone from that place that I worked with, or know working on cruise ships. So, reading the complaint of an American about a way of socializing left me quite speechless .... I was left with the impression, after working in the States, that in America everything is about how to make your work and life more fun. Maybe, I was wrong ..... 

14 Apr 2009      

Akanah
Spain

Ummmmm, are the pics included in the "good night" messeges deleted after they are not in the main board of the forum? or do they remain? I guess that �s the point. The old server was full and that �s why we moved to this new one. I have no probs with members saying "good night" but, maybe, those big pics shouldn �t be included. Just a point of view...

14 Apr 2009     

evadp75
Romania

There was no mentioning about pics in the post. This is one of the things the person was talking about:

"I never said it was wrong, it is just not part of an ESL board...unless of course it is in different languages so that it is a "teachable moment"

and

"Why doesn �t people do things descretely, like others have posted. Why call attention to yourselves. It is not postive, energetic attention to be constantly tattling, it is quite negative and makes the tattler look bad. "

14 Apr 2009     

Akanah
Spain

:S

Well, we �ve become a big community and I see nothing wrong in saying "good night", even though I don �t think uploading pics to say it is a good idea. Maybe when this memeber says: "Why doesn �t people do things descretely, like others have posted" he / she refers to pics, don �t you think so? Some "Good Night" posts aren �t really descreet...

Good night, BTW...

14 Apr 2009     

Akanah
Spain

Lovely... It is just a matter of time for this server to be full too

14 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

Just for you, Akanah - I removed my good  night.  - so good night anyway.

14 Apr 2009     

a isabel
Portugal

Good evening everone!
I also feel that in spite of being nice to see "good night/good morning".... / sometimes the pictures are so big, that important requests quickly disappear from the main page of the board and we have to search a lot to find if there are any replies to our requests....  Perhaps we could keep our messages of tiredness/relief/happiness etc.... we need that sometimes, but we don �t need to use so much space. I hope nobody gets hurt with my comment because I have
already been helped and I really count on this help.

14 Apr 2009     

Akanah
Spain

eng789 Thanks :) night!

14 Apr 2009     

Hatha
Portugal

HI!

You weren �t wrong, maybe that person was in bad day or mood. Or perhaps there is an exception! At least, I want to believe in that because I met a lot of American people and they seemed what you have just said, so don �t worry I think your thoughts about the American people are correct!

Have a nice day / night

Hugs from Portugal!

15 Apr 2009     

alien boy
Japan

If you read the following discussion thread it may help you understand the perspective a little:

Basically, there is no reason why all the good mornings on one day couldn �t be in the same discussion thread - that �s one reason why Victor changed the forum thread structure (see the above link for some details).

Same applies to all the greetings.

You can search the forum using several different shortcuts that Victor has provided as well as by searching by user name or keyword.

I don �t think many of the users here really utilise the forum (or F.A.Q.) properly - which is why soooo many things get repeated & certain gripes always turn up regularly.

15 Apr 2009