Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > students are crazyyy for learning how to talk !!    

students are crazyyy for learning how to talk !!

karenp
United States

students are crazyyy for learning how to talk !!

hello everyone Im getting a little frustrated in my classroom because everybody is telling me that they dont want anymore grammar or listening they want to talk !Besides watching TV in English, reading the newspaper, etc...does anybody have any more ideas to teach them how to talk ????? Or any interesting activities in the classroom besides dialogues, surveys.......
Thank you !!1

11 Oct 2008      

maestra545
United States

Hi Karen,

You are lucky! Some of my beginning high (Level 3) students would be perfectly happy to spend all of class looking up words in the dictionary and filling in worksheets.

Have you checked out TPR? There are 2 books, "Live Action English" and "TPR is More Than Commands", that outline a method that gets enables even literacy-level students to talk.

Have your students read a story, draw pictures illustrating the main events, figure out the key words and write them down under the pictures. They then tell the story to a partner using the pictures and the key words.

Good luck!
j.

11 Oct 2008     

Logos
Malaysia

Much depends upon your student�s age and ability.  The other main factor is motivation and you seem very fortunate that your students� actually want to talk.  Try looking for activities on the site which refer to games, or surveys.  Frenchfrog has an excellent series on using the four skills, which incorporates listening, speaking, reading and writing.  I have a couple of presentations about how to organise pair work and small group work.

The other thing is to try and find out what the students are currently interested in.  If they listen to English pop music there may be a worksheet on the site which has words and exercises about the song.

Get the kids to perform the song as a play - or make up their own alternative words.

Much of teaching is a matter of using imagination and creativity and having fun in the process

But like I said, without knowing the students� age and ability it is difficult to be specific and guide you to particular materials.

11 Oct 2008     

fletsch
Canada

Hi Karen:

I teach Oral English to 1st and 2nd year University students and I understand how it can be difficult to come up with exciting speaking activities that are not dialogues.  I have some worksheets on eslprintables that are effective in getting kids to speak on their own.  Check out: 

All of these worksheets have really helped me with my speaking classes.  My students have a good time and also spend the whole class speaking English to one another.  If you don�t have enough points to download them, send me ur email address and I can send them to you.  Also, you can search worsheets on here by putting in keywords like: speaking, oral, conversations, etc.  There are so many good worksheets on this site. 

Good luck Karen!

Fletsch

11 Oct 2008     

gilorit
Israel

Dear Fletch :-)
Although it was sent to Karen .... I find your activities fun and interesting even for my JH students and I downladed them.
(could not leave a comment on the worksheets , that�s why I write to you..)
 Thank you :-)
Orit

11 Oct 2008     

pupa
Serbia

Fletsch has reminded me of some great activities I had in my speaking classes. Giving advice for certain problems the way how it is suggested in fletsch�s contribution is fun http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=47708#thetop but can also be extended by assigning advisors among the students who are of different professions (a teacher, a doctor, a priest, a policeman etc.) When a student with a problem comes to an advisor he/she should speak to the student from his/her professional standpoint. Students should move to seek help from all advisors and as a feedback they can report whose advice they liked the best and finally they could try to guess the advisors� professions.
Happy teaching to everyone Smile

11 Oct 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi karemp!

Working with dialogues (listening, understanding, reading and role-playing) is very effective. Then you can add more info in she shape of cards to go on role playing, and according to the level, they will go on chatting.

Short stories, newspaper news or unfinished stories are good for retelling and giving opinion.

Picture description is other useful tool if you lead them to connect the picture with some event in real life, a film they have seen or something they have lived or known about.

Smile

11 Oct 2008     

fletsch
Canada

Hey ladybird:

I had no idea that my name meant some interesting things in German.  There is no special meaning behind it from what my parents tell me.  Just an original name that has been passed down in my family from generation to generation.  But I have always had people call me Fletcher, lol.  Shanghai was nice today as well.  Have a good weekend,

Fletsch

11 Oct 2008     

karenp
United States

Thank you all for your replies they are very helpful for me!!! I will definetly download your worksheets Fletsch they seem very helpful to get students to talk. They are adults and is harder for them to talk and actually understand many of the stuff but I guess the best way to learn how to talk is actually talking is just that I did not have a set of ideas on how to start. I was also planning on dedicating one hour of the class for these exercises but another problem I have is that the school accepts people at any time of the year meaning that I have people who dont even know the alphabet yet and some already know a lot so there are people from different levels in the class. This is frustrating because I cannot go back to the simple stuff because the other people are gonna get bored so I dont know what to do. But thanks for the worksheets and the other suggestions on stories and surveys I would also appreciate if somebody gives me a suggestion on how to work with these different levels in the class and how to organize it a little better.
Thanks sooooooooo muchhhhhhhhhhhhhh you alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 

12 Oct 2008