Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Shake out the words formative and summative assessment.    

Shake out the words formative and summative assessment.

Vickiii
New Zealand

Shake out the words formative and summative assessment.

I have started using this wonderful technique with my six year olds:

Materials:
1)  themed picture glued or attached to a larger piece of paper with a border of at least 5 cm.
2)  two different coloured markers.
3) a classroom or group of children.
4) 5 - 10 minutes on at least 2 different days.
5) word cards with target vocabulary from the picture.
6) blank word cards to add the children �s vocabulary to.

Instructions:
Formative ASsessment
1) Show the picture and ask the children to think about what words they know on the picture.

2) HAve children come up to the board one at a time and point to a picture and name it.

3) Use one marker each day - write the word in the border and attach it to the picture with a line.

4) Spell the word and say it outloud with the children 2 - 3 times.

5) Continue this process until the children can �t think of anymore words.

Learning Time:
6) Introduce the new vocabulary that the children have missed using the vocabulary cards - make sure you quickly add any vocabulary the children have thought of that you missed.

7) put the children in teams and have matching races to the picture or alternatively have a picture and vocabulary cards for each team to match to the picture and give them 5 minutes to match as many as possible.

On the following day
- Let the children practice matching the words to the pictures as a whole class and then individually. 
- Play a game where the teams have to race to the board (one person from each team at a time) and add the word to the picture
- You point to the picture and the children have to race to show and say the vocabulary card.

Summative Assessment
At the end of the week get out your other coloured marker.
HAve the children come up to the picture and add new words to the picture like you did on day one.

Put the class picture with vocabulary in the border on the wall. 
You can use this picture for a writing project if you like.

17 Apr 2009      

Choli
Argentina

Thanks for sharing these fabulous ideas!!!!!
I �ll copy them to my PC too!!!

I �m working with posters and flashcards but my 6-year-old students can �t read or write yet. So I �m just providing some exposure to the written form of the words.

Bear hug
Choli

17 Apr 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I thought people might like an example so am working on one now to upload - it is around the madgascar movie - I have also previously used a big shrek movie poster.  Movie posters are great as the kids immediately connect with the characters.

17 Apr 2009     

lacorinita
Italy

It �s a great way of presenting vocabulary!! I �ve just copied the file in my computer and I �m going to do it next Monday at school.

Thank for sharing your work and your experiences!!!

Have a nice Friday!!

Smile Corina  

17 Apr 2009     

alex1968
Greece

Great ideas!! Thanx!

Is it copyright???Wink

I �ve copy-pasted it to doc. to remind me... that �s the problem with growing older... you tend to forget  things!!!

Warm regards,
Alex

17 Apr 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Hi Vickiii! Who said assessment had to be boring?!!! I really enjoyed reading through your description of the way you assess vocabulary. I �m sure Kids must love it. My younger students this year are are older (13), but they love any activity in which they have to stand up and walk around (90-minute-class, who can sit that long???).

In Europe, according to the The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, we assess vocabulary when we assess one of the four language skills. For example, When we assess speaking, vocabulary is part of our assessment grid - the same happening with reading, listening and writing. We do not assess vocabulary isolated from the skills. So, it �s not that easy to find a fun way to do it, especially in reading and writing.

But I do thank you for sharing your experience with younger students. we may not be able to use it for assessment, but we sure can use it as an activity in class.

Have a nice day!
Hugs,
mena

17 Apr 2009