Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Rewards, stickers, certificates, bookmarks, classroom posters….    

Rewards, stickers, certificates, bookmarks, classroom posters….

mena22
Portugal

Rewards, stickers, certificates, bookmarks, classroom posters….

For those who have access to the reported contributions, the confusion on the topic above becomes obvious after reading a few comments.  

For example, for some, stickers praising students� work should be removed from the site because they are not ESL resources; for others, the very same stickers should not be removed as they are an important motivational tool for the students and fit in one of the categories available in the site: �Classroom Forms�.

I believe it would be wise to think about this and discuss it here on the forum to clarify the issue and avoid incoherencies and unfair judgments when voting on a reported contribution.

As Victor as stated, when we vote on a worksheet to be removed, or not, we must only have in mind the rules of the site, i.e., what has been defined as an ESL resource (besides the stolen worksheets, of course).  We should not, and must not judge the quality of the work.

Victor has given us examples of what should not be considered an ESL resource to avoid confusion. I�ll point out these two because they are the ones closely related to the topic for discussion.

-          Just images (no words, no activities included);

-          Clip art.

There are indeed in the reported contributions stickers which match the first and the second categories � just images, clip art, no words at all. So, I think there is no doubt about those. However, there are other stickers with comments   ï¿½  as well as  rewards, certificates, bookmarks, classroom posters�  ï¿½   which teachers use in class for different pedagogic reasons associated with extrinsic motivation:

-          To praise and encourage students� work, language skills, social skills, and  behaviour;

-          To show recognition for the students� effort and progress;

-          To congratulate students on their achievements, according to their rhythm.

Some students have enough intrinsic motivation to learn, but studies have proved that most kids, especially those from lower class families, need some extrinsic motivation to desire to learn and to believe that they are able to do so like everybody else. Besides, this can make them and their families start to value school and good grades. And according to those studies and our experience, even very good students respond to incentives, I mean, we all do, don�t we?!

In an era where the process is at least as important as the product, with the focus on �how�  even though not in detriment of �what�, how can we not consider these stickers (with comments written, of course), these certificates, these bookmarks�.. ESL resources?

For me, as long as they are made, and let me emphasize this, CREATED BY THE USER, they are as much an ESL resource as any other resource uploaded here in the site.

Much more could be said on this, but I really have to go now and I think I have made my point clear.

I�m looking forward to reading your opinions on this so that, as I�ve said above, we can avoid incoherencies and unfair judgments when voting on a reported contribution.

Thank you all!

Have a nice weekend and happy Easter to those who are celebrating it now.

mena

18 Apr 2009      

victor
Spain

Yes, I �ve also seen all those reported stickers, awards, certificates...
I completely agree with you. Those contributions shouldn �t be removed.
We should only remove them if they are just clipart or if they are copied.

Have a nice weekend!

18 Apr 2009     

nkappa
Greece

Dear Mena,
Your points are completely correct. As I have already stated (in a past forum day) I believe that "anything" can be characterised as ESL resource. Even a picture without words ....
Now, as far as the bookmarks and anything that motivates and ecourages students to give their best, I think that they are very useful!!!
Personaly I use such ways of ecourangement in my classes. Especially stickers as awards.
All of my students have a card where I stick a sticker every time they do something good or even if the show some kind of improvement on sth. When they reach 40 stickers they have a gift from me.... So why not consider such things as useful...?
Students must learn how to LOVE the language, the teacher and even life... Our role is to educate which means not only knowledge on a certain language, but also give them feedback for LIFE!! Principles and emotions....
To sum up, everything in here can be really useful! (apart from empty files etc)
Thank you Mena for refering on that subject!
Have a nice day to ALL!

18 Apr 2009     

douglas
United States

I don �t personally use the "motivation stickers" because my students are adults, but I value them as an ESL resource.  If a young student gets a sticker with an English text like "I �m proud of you.", that child will probbaly never forget he meaning of those words--an excellent teaching tool that jumps right to internalizing.  They should definately be used for the right age groups and promoted on this site.

Just my opnion.
Douglas
(glad to be back)

18 Apr 2009     

lhai71
Vietnam

It �s really necessary for teachers to motivating their students.

18 Apr 2009     

Kamilam
Poland

I am really sad because my two sets of reward stickers have just been removed... They are really motivating for my little students who receive one at the end of every lesson and have beautiful posters. I always include short motivating texts in English. But if the majority of the members decided that they are not ESL resources, I cannot upload them... Unhappy

Have a nice Saturday!
Kamila

18 Apr 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Dear Mena,
You �re definitely on the spot!!!! I personally find all kinds of stickers with comments useful for teachers. However, some users here are uploading stickers or pictures  that are clearly not made by them. So, they can simply send the link instead of making them their own.

What is required here credibility and appropriacy.

Thanks Mena for enlightening us. There �s a big confusion here.

Have a nice wekend,
Nebal 

18 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

So basically what you are saying is that - anything that has at least one word of English on it is acceptable. 

18 Apr 2009     

VeraM
Portugal

I �ve got nothing else to add to you comments. I �m one of those who use your stickers in my classroom and voted for "Do not remove". You are absolutely right.

18 Apr 2009     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

Although I see no reason to ban such material given the rules for uploading, I personally would not like to see this site used for certificates and stickers.

I hope fellow teachers can at least think about these points ...

1. In the praise vs encouragement debate: I see atickers as praise and not encouragement. In modern teaching practice we could, for example, we look at a childs painting of blue sky. In praise we say "That �s good Johnny" but for encouragement we avoid positive comments and get the child to assess their own work by saying "Do you like the colour of the sky?". This promoted life long learning skills.

2. Behaviour response mechanism: Rewards tune students to work for rewards and have been shown to work in short term only, even having a negative effect on learning in the longer term. The brain is quite capable of generating it �s own pleasure chemicals when learnign new things and I try to get students to enjoy the whole interactive experience before I give out prizes.

3. Competition: Rewards can generate competition and negative feelings of self worth so I try to avoid those.

Wink Just food for thought IMHO and these certificates and stickers are something I have phased out of my classes slowly over a few years, but I �m sure we have all used them in the beginning.

Thanks for reading, It �s been great reading the comments here already.

hope you can tell me what you think too!

18 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

I hope everyone remembers what a ws is.  (something a pupil works on)  I would prefer to see more wss and less flashcards, grammar guides and stickers.  A page of pictures with words written under them is good for teaching vocabulary but where is the activity. 
I would like to see a mini quiz with a page like that - so that you can quiz the kids see if they actually learned something.  But that �s my humble opinion.

18 Apr 2009     

1    2    Next >