Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Teaching System in your country!    

Teaching System in your country!

manuelafigueiredo
Portugal

1 - I teach 3 different classes.

2 - I teach 2 grades, i.e., 2 curriculum.

3 - 25 students.

4 - I teach English, Project Studies, Civics, Supervise Studies and Recuperation classes to sts who need extra-help.

5 - I make a lesson plan.

6 - It depends if we have meetings, but normally I go home after classes.

7 - I do a looooot of administrative duties!!!!

8 - No!!!

9 - No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But fortunally I still love my job specially because of my sts. Our government has given us a big headache and they don �t appreciate our work for sure!

18 Apr 2009     

BashayerS
Kuwait

Well, am really glad to have so many responses. I really got great answers from you and now i realize that we all have some things in common and others totally different.

In Kuwait:

1- How many classes do you teach?
I teach three classes. 1 period a day each.
2- Do you teach just one curriculum?
A teacher must not teach just one curriculum in Kuwait. and not more than two.
3- How many students do you have in each class?
Around 25
4- Do you only teach English Language?
Yes, I only teach English.
5- Do you prepare for your lessons in a special written form?
Unfortunately, YES! and this way is really exhausting. We have to copy paste what the teacher �s guide says!! its so not practical though. I usually do not totally do what the teacher �s guide suggests. I change the lessons plans and so because i have more interesting ideas to teach! for example: the teacher guide tells us to teach the vocabulary in a certain way that i find so boring therefore i change it to something i find more interesting!
6- Do you give your classes and go home? or do you have to stay till specific time?
Just like miss noor. we go out at 1. which i find unfair because sometimes i got the first three periods and thats it! i should be going home way earlier! like 10 o �clock!
7- Do you do administrative duties other than teaching? like taking absence- watch shifts - supervising etc..??
Yes, we have weekly watch which is obligatory and some teachers have supervision duties but this one is optional.
8- Do you have an assistant?
I wish!!
9- Do you feel appreciated for your work? or disappointed?
Mostly disappointed because of the general institutional system. But am definitely appreciated by my students and thats whats making me stay.

Salary: 900kd a month thats around 3000 dollars.

I wish i could do some drastic change to the whole system..but am all alone here and nobody seems to care!

18 Apr 2009     

izabelbello
Brazil

Hi !! I �m Izabel from Brazil. Smile

Well, we teachers have a hard job here, and most of us don �t have such a good salary as we should, because there �s always a lot to be done in and out of the school.

1) I teach 9 classes: 4 in an elementary school in the morning, 1 in another elementary school in the afternoon, and I still have 4 classes in an English academy. I work from Monday to Saturday. On Mondays and Wednesdays I work almost 12 hours.
2) Yes, I do, but I �m also a Portuguese teacher.
3) Here we havearound 25 / 30 sometimes 40 students per class.
4) Yes, I do.
5) I �m not obliged to follow the teacher �s book. It works as a guide, so we can add exra activities if necessary.
6) No, but I wish I could. I have to mange 3 jobs.
7) No, I don �t. Thanks God !!
8) No, but I wish I had.
9) Sometimes. I can �t complain about my salary, but we, teachers, also expect to win more and be recognized by our efforts and good job. What makes me happy is the opportunity of learning something new every day with my students.Big smile

Hug and have a nice weekend !!

18 Apr 2009     

Azza_20
United Arab Emirates

very interesting information!

the situation is the same in the UAE as in Kuwait, but its slowly changing as school administration  (future schools referred to as "al ghad") are replaced with western education practioners  and they are trying to implement a  more flatter system and applying methods/systems already used in England.

18 Apr 2009     

BashayerS
Kuwait

Am more than thankful for your answers and so amazed to know so much in so little time!

It feels like i went around the planet and met different people! Wow am so happy :))

Thanks again

19 Apr 2009     

< Previous   1    2