Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Reflect on this site    

Reflect on this site

ESL
United States

Reflect on this site

A terrible thing happened for a student at the school I teach at on Friday- this senior in high school came home to find that her older sister and her boyfriend were arguing over infidelity. To make a long story very short, the boyfriend stabbed her, her dad, and her grandmother, who all died. He also stabbed the two girls mother who remains in critical condition.

When I got to school last night, the students decorated her locker with notes, pictures, and flowers.

I am also a graduate of Northern Illinois University, where a maniac shot six students in a lecture hall two years ago.

Our country remembered Colombine High School yesturday- the 10 year anniversary of a terrible school shooting in which many students and faciluty were slain, then the two cowards took their lives also instead of facing justice.

One of my mother �s students was the youngest killed in the Tylonal murders 20 years ago....

Come on teachers, stop this petty policing about if a worksheet is not ESL material or not...take a minute to reflect on how we are acting, and how this is being portrayed on this site.

This has been said numerous times before, what you think might not be ESL material, may be ESL material for someone else.

There are too many other things going on in this world right now to bicker over how imaginative you are on a worksheet.

Get rid of the stolen sheets, but really use more imagination over what you think is too easy, or not usable....

And please hug your children, and give positive feedback to your students, you never know how they are really feeling..

21 Apr 2009      

Cassy
Brazil

I couldn�t agree more.
There are some people only worried about judging...arguing...
Take it easy fellows....
As Miss ESL said there are too many other things going on.

Cassy Wink

22 Apr 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear, Miss ESL of Illinois  United States

To make a long story short as you say, not longer than a week ago I request by e-mail and PM more than 40 people here in this site. People I put on a list of most serious ones. The request was about any kind of help and or contribution on the topic of peace, non-violence and more importantly school violence and how to stop it.

You know what?

Only three dared to answer my messages (one by sending a letter of encouragement to my kids supporting them on their project, one by sending some sweet photos of her little ones and at last one to apologize not being able to help because of certain unbelievable government restriction - think some still don�t know we are in the 21st century).

I did not ask much. And I think that people could have answered at least to apologize not being able to help. It would have shown they are really concerned. I don�t think send a �Sorry I can�t help for this one� is that much time consuming as far as this issue is concerned.

I don�t know maybe they feel safe there where they are. Thanks God for them!!!

Actually, we haven�t experienced such a tragedy as Columbine or the one you�re talking about here in Algeria so far. However, I am seeing it coming. The reasons and factors leading to it are limitless; misery, unemployment, school increasing dropouts etc...

What can I say Its always a pity when a young person gets hurt one way or the other.

Of course those who can commit such tragedies are unforgiveable but more are those who stay insensible.

Sorry and extremely sad for your stuends.

Regards

22 Apr 2009     

ESL
United States

Dear Goodnesses-

You should have PM �ed me...

Here is what I would have told you to do... google the Chicago Tribune - this is a popular newspaper in my city. You can also google Northern Illinois University, Colombine, etc. or google school violence. You will get a lot of information for you studies from these news articles. It is a good start.

Thanks for your nice words everyone-

Life is too precious to waste on bickering on this site...

Peace to all.

22 Apr 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Miss ESL of Illinois

When I pm-ed those people I was looking for sth different sth more effective, touching, live, warmer than googling. I can �t  tell the effect the letter sent to my kids had on them. And that was more important than googling.
btw, the kids googled and googled but finished by pruducing their own work. Pictures, messages, posters, slogans, and school charter. At 99%.
All these greatly presented in front of the whole school community (teachers, school mates, and all other staff members)  which they managed to involve in every step of the project.

22 Apr 2009     

yureca
Brazil

Definitely   I agree!!! I think that if we like the worksheet, fine, download it and be happy. If you don �t like it NEVER download it. The author will soon understand the meaning of this site. I know that we have  problems with the ones that are stolen (I myself had one stolen and felt very bad knowing that someone else was gaining points with my hard work.) Maybe we should just keep track of the stolen work and forget everything else. Why judge a worksheet?  Let �s think about it!!!! Good night!!

22 Apr 2009     

daysealvesbarbosa
Brazil

Clap

I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.

Author:Al McGuire

22 Apr 2009