Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > INCREDIBLE    

INCREDIBLE

ssrl10
Spain

INCREDIBLE

I have received a message on my private messenger telling me that one of my worksheets has been reported because it got many downloads and few comments. Can you believe it? Moreover, I have checked the account of the person who left that comment on my worksheet and her worksheets have been downloaded more than 510 times with only 70 comments. Mines were downloaded around 400 times with 40 comments and many people leaft a comment on just one of the 2 worksheets, so some left the comment on the first one and many others (I don�t remember the exact number now), left a comment after downloading the second.
She says that I am giving myself 30 points each day but that�s impossible, try it! New worksheets can only be downloaded once. Moreover, I think that we cannot judge worksheets by the number of comments left on them. Then, hundreds of them should be reported and removed.  I think it is not fair because I have tried to improve my worksheets and after beign happy about the number of downloads and comments I received yesterday now people start telling me that I don�t deserve the points. Have a look at my worksheets then and you will see that many of them were downloaded very few times and I did not gave myself points because of that.
Of course I have opened many accounts for 2 colleges here at school when I discovered the site and downloaded their worksheets some times to help them start getting points but I have never cheated.

27 Apr 2009      

class centre
Belarus

Dear ssr10,
I am very sorry about you and the situation you are in. I �m  afraid this is an example of where this system of reporting wsh can lead to. When teachers are empowered to judge other teachers  you never know what reasons they can invent to get rid of you ( or your success).
I would insistingly propose to use 0 download during a month as the only reason for deleting the printable. All other reasons can and ( as we see now with you) definitely will be more and more incredible and too voluntarist. You are a good teacher and your works are wonderful. Cheer up! Envy of the coleagues has always walked along with being special. Good luck!

27 Apr 2009     

arielka
Poland

I agree with  class centre that it is because of people �s envy!

I really loved that site but now when we have this stupid (sorry) system of reporting our work I hardy ever visit this site, and they same do my friends from poland.

27 Apr 2009     

cathrine
Spain

In my opinion opening accounts for your colleges and down loading their worksheets just to get them upto 30 points, is an abuse of the site rules, however this is a loop hole of the site.  I didn �t have the privilege of having any friends to do this for me. My points gained are on my own merit. However I don �t think you need to worry until your worksheets are deleted. As far as I can see your worksheet has only been reported and commented on. I agree with the reporting of stolen or copied work, because if you have not done the work yourself you shouldn �t be paid the points. The thought of loosing your points because you havent had many good comments on them is very odd, and doesnt seem fair. I doubt this is going to happen. Check to see if the worksheet has been deleted or the points havent been given. Smile

27 Apr 2009     

chorima
Spain

I think it must be out of envy that they reported your ws.....Yes, it is unbelievable how  some things are becoming on this site nowadays.
Don�t worry too much. Not leaving enough comments cannot lead to deleting your worksheet. just think about many nice people who have downloaded your ws and left some comment.
Another suggestion: why don�t you PM victor and tell him?
Regards. I �m looking forward to your next contributions.....
Chorima

27 Apr 2009     

ssrl10
Spain

Maybe you misunderstood me. When I say I have opened accounts for 2 collegues is because they don�t knew how to do it. Moreover, I only gave them 3 points each, not 30. Moreover, I have not helped them but many other people I don�t now too. When I see a worksheet with few or 0 points I like I download it a couple of times to cheer that person up. I don�t think it is against the rules to do that. many people have sugested that worksheets with 0 points should be adversited before being deleted because maybe we missed them the day it was uploaded. I don�t do it everyday but sometimes I come across really good work with 0 points and a little help makes no harm, I guess. However, if you think it is not fair, I will stop doing that.
I think that people usually are in a hurry, and above all, you usually leave kinder messages to the people you already know. I often send private messages thanking for all the worksheets I have downloaded from a person instead of leaving messages below the worksheets.
Anyway, I think that if people think that someone is cheating is because they may know any means to cheat that the rest of us don�t know and think that all of us are the same as them.

27 Apr 2009     

Denis1234
United Kingdom

Two quotes that might give the reason for a brief pause before offering an unjust criticism of another �s hard work.

"Some people are moulded by their admirations, others by their hostilities." �( Elizabeth Bowen. Anglo-Irish novelist).

" Jealousy is no more than feeling alone against smiling enemies" (Same author).

DonalThumbs Up

27 Apr 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Hi there.. I just wanted to add a little background to your story so that maybe you can understand why some people might have questioned your points. It sometimes helps to see the whole picture don �t you think?

Over the last few weeks or so there have been worksheets that have magically received around 30 points BEFORE they have even been up in the daily download section.

I noticed this myself a week or so back when I uploaded a worksheet and when I was checking where it would appear and that it had uploaded correctly I noticed a random worksheet had been moved to the top and had 30+ points. This was HOURS before it would have been in the daily section too. This was very strange as although it was a nice worksheet, it was nothing so fantastic that the DAY BEFORE it was going to be in the daily downloads people could not wait to download it and spend points not wait to use their free ones...

There have been a couple more examples of people having over 100 points but no worksheets in their account...There is definitely something going on in the system, maybe a system error, maybe someone playing the system. The only person who knows and can find out is Victor.
Victor I am sure is aware that there have been a few abnormalities as  of late, but he is one person who also works so we just need to trust that Victor will have time soon to see what is happening.

I have not been around as much as I used to but I have noticed about 3 different instances very recently and I would guess that some of the other regular members have also noticed something is amiss...

I can understand why you would feel upset. Personally I think that if someone thought your contribution was suspect they could have PM �d Victor or you instead of doing it publicly. Because for all we know it really could be a system error NOT user error. And we all have had trouble with technology at times!
Hopefully Victor will be able to get to the bottom of why there are SOME anomalies  SOME of the time for SOME users.
Let �s not be hasty and accuse each other in public.

27 Apr 2009     

chorima
Spain

COMMON SENSE has arrived. Thanks Cheezels for your words (we all know what is happening now.....).But still, it is unfair to make accusations without any proof publicly.

27 Apr 2009     

alien boy
Japan

It also appears to be possible to download sheets that are uploaded before they appear on the free download list - I�ve just used today�s date to check for worksheets, I�m a premium member & can download 30 of them... but �lo & behold�... it�ll cost me a point to download them! This is because the �recent contributions� are actually from yesterday & so this also means it is possible for worksheets to have downloads before they appear on the free download list.

Looking for the simple solution first usually makes a little more sense than looking at overly complex conspiracies... I don�t really think anyone is �fixing the numbers�. It�s probably more a case of members not understanding the mechanism/logic behind when an item becomes available as a free download.

(Haven�t we all read comments about people being charged points for a newly uploaded worksheet? People have used the date search function rather than using the direct link to the recent contributions...)

27 Apr 2009     

ELMO.
Spain

ALL MY SUPPORT SSRL10!!! THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!!

27 Apr 2009     

1    2    Next >