Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Inquiry: How do you use ´mini books ´ with students?    

Inquiry: How do you use ´mini books ´ with students?

brookee
United States

Inquiry: How do you use ´mini books ´ with students?

I �ve noticed the number of �mini book � contributions growing day-by-day, especially since Pika/Alenka put out her tutorial.

I �m intrigued by the concept of using �mini books � in my classes but I �ve never done it before, so I �d like to ask all you seasoned and experienced teachers...

How does one go about using a �mini book � with students?
How does a �mini book � fit into a typical lesson?
Can any story be made into a �mini book?
Must all �mini books � include illustrations?
Are �mini books � only for young learners?  (I teach adults)
Lastly, what are the overall benefits of using �mini books � over just a standard WS?
What are the drawbacks?

Sorry for my long list of demands but I �m very curious.  I appreciate any and all replies.  ---Brooke

(To Pika, Storyteller and others, I apprecitate the hard work you �ve been putting into those contributions).

27 Apr 2009      

jamiejules
France

hi, I use minibooks with my older students but I get them to make them, they have to fold the minibook which is blank and then create the activities to do with what we studied.
When they have created their minibooks I photocopy them and they get to do other students exercises (at home or as a break in the unit) they love making them but it is not done during the lesson it set as homework.
For the youngers I create my own mini books which are a recap of a unit in the form of a dialogue (like the one I uploaded on this site about the routine). The minibook is then a condensed lesson and the students are told to keep it in their coat/ jacket / pocket to refresh their memory whenever possible before a test ( I hand them out at least a week before the test)
Minibooks are for me a fun way of seeing a lesson, they can be a reading comprehension with activities, they can also be used as books: I put a few on a table in my classroom and the students ask to read one when they have finished their work. At the end of the month they are given a quiz about the minibooks to see if they remember what they read and it works it is a very useful and unusual tool for most students.
have a nice day

27 Apr 2009     

nobody.here
Slovenia

I don�t teach at school, I only give a private help lessons to small groups of students. I always prepare additional teaching material that matches with their school books. I I begin with mini books to increase motivations. A mini book is something unusual comparing with a worksheet. I have noticed that young and a bit older students like mini books very much, they carry them with to the lessons and they have right the small library. Many of mini books that I collected on the Funny English website, they download and printed by themselves. Some of them write e-mails to me to let me know which mini book they have just downloaded, that I know to prepare something new for the next lesson. Others tell me what a mini book they would like to have for the next week � �the present continuous mini grammar book� or a �story with past simple�, ecc. Sometimes I give them a story mini book as prize � for example for a correctly solved crossword.  There are really many possibilities to use them, but it shouldn�t be too much. I try to combine different activities, sometimes a mini book, the next time cards, than a worksheets and so on. But all this I have to do only in small groups � from three to eight students � and this is much easier than in the class.

27 Apr 2009     

pauguzman
Argentina

Hi!  I use the minibooks with my younger learners. Every week I give  starts to them for behaving well, speaking in English in class, doing homework, etc. After collecting 5 or 6 starts they exchange the starts for these minibooks with stories that they love to read. The funny thing is that they don �t like homework but taking home the minibooks they read and practise their English without knowing.So, I use them for extending reading. Moreover, my students read these minibooks to their parents so they also benefit from them!!!!

I would like to say thanks Alenka for your wonderful contributions and PLEASE... keep going!!
regards, PAULA

28 Apr 2009     

Elsberry8
Albania

There are terribly less support for the antivirus which can be used for few things to changed in your computer in order that you can select the homework by purchase analysis paper to write down my buy essays online or your essay in an exceedingly good manner conjointly it might not value you alot in term of constructing sorted things

18 Oct 2021