Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > NEED YOUR HELP!    

NEED YOUR HELP!

svetamarik Svetlana
Russian Federation

NEED YOUR HELP!

Hi, my dear colleagues! Could you tell me what the �best antonym for �

tirelessly is? I �d like to find the best one. I need it for my new ws about human heart.

Thanks in advance

Svetlana

30 Apr 2009      

Zora
Canada

Good morning Svetlana, Smile

I �d have to know the context you want to use it in but I�d say the closest is..."not....at all"

Example:

John works tirelessly.

John doesn �t work at all.

30 Apr 2009     

svetamarik Svetlana
Russian Federation

Hi Zora! The context is the following: From the moment it begins beating until the moment it stops, the human heart works tirelessly.

Thanks for your quick reply.

30 Apr 2009     

Zora
Canada

Yup..- it would probably be "not at all"... since here tirelessly is "non-stop".

From the moment a person dies,the heart doesn �t work at all. (or stops working).

30 Apr 2009     

Ankhy
Romania

I �d say wearily...

Good luck with your ws!

I can �t wait to download it :-)

I�ve answered before seeing the context... Maybe it�s not the best antonym for the �heart� context...

30 Apr 2009     

susiebelle
United States

�continually �  might be a good choice also.

30 Apr 2009     

susiebelle
United States

Wait a minute... you want the antonym- not the synonym? The direct antonym would be tiredly

30 Apr 2009     

Jayho
Australia

I �d say tiredly or weakly, but it depends on what your purpose is

30 Apr 2009     

maker1
Turkey

Tirelessly here means � �non-stop, continually � � as susiebelle said so could a good antonym be � �hardly ever � � or � � almost never � �

30 Apr 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Sluggishly also might be ok do you think?

30 Apr 2009     

Zora
Canada

I think it all depends on the context... "sluggishly" would be the best when taking about how the heart beats.

BUT in other cases... it would be different.

He worked tirelessly at his job. - means a great worker who works non-stop.

He doesn �t work at all at his job. - means he �s a lazy bugger who does nothing...

AND if we take tiredly (which I debate as not necessarily being the direct antonym because of it�s meaning)...

He works tiredly at his job. - means he is listless and without energy... NOT necessarily because he is lazy though... it could be he �s just overworked.

Smile 

30 Apr 2009     

1    2    Next >