Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > My picture was PERSONAL…    

My picture was PERSONAL…

frenchfrog
France

My picture was PERSONAL…

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=118178#thetop

I must say it makes me feel extremely uncomfortable

I once put a picture of me on the site but removed it very soon (I think it stayed for only 2 days�)

Hicham must have saved it on his computer, which I find particularly weird.

I never gave him permission to use this picture. I thought it was obvious (but it seems it was not that obvious).

I am quite shy and it was not so easy for me to put a picture of me on the net. Now, it is used without my permission.

I am sure Hicham did not mean any harm, but ...

I hope you are getting used to my frogs because I will NEVER, NEVER put a picture of me again.

To Victor, Spring, Icha, Vanda51 and Karen1980:

Did you allow Hicham to use your pictures?

Frenchfrog 

14 Oct 2008      

domnitza
Romania

Dear Frenchfrog,

in my opinion, you are absolutely right. We have talked so much about using pictures from the internet, about permission and  morality, that I can�t stand seeing this subject on the forum anymore. And sometimes, when a new member asks questions about taking pictures from the internet, I secretly hope that this will vanish asap.

But this time it is completely different. I perfectly understand your shyness (I thought for a long time before uploading my personal picture, and I quickly removed it after a few days. I prefer my son�s picture instead, because Didi is MUCH MORE beautiful and cute; and because he is also part of this virtual community --- family--- since a lot of his mother�s time is spent working on these worksheets, when she (I)  could spend all this time just playing with him. ---- Mothers will understand better.) As a matter of speaking, I miss your photo, because I really liked you standing near that window (wasn�t there a window? Ermm), you had a very sweet dreamy face, and also shy, and I hoped I would get the change of seeing more photos of you. (that�s another story...)

I don�t blame Hicham. He must have had good intentions. But he should have done differently. Or done nothing at all. Besides, those cards are not true at all. Icha is not 29 and Spring doesn�t have children. So.... Unhappy

Victor put new options for us, concerning our own printables, and he gave us the power to do what we consider best: update or delete the ones we don�t like anymore. Or when we MAKE A MISTAKE.

ps: I strongly believe that everybody has the right to be whoever he wants to, to choose a new even unreal name, a nickname, a new "face" (an avatar), because as we grow older we build ourselves in so many shapes and colours and sounds.

Domnitza
(meaning <young lady> in Romanian)

ps2 : dear Frenchfrog, I like your passion both when entering an argument and when sitting at your PC, full of creative ideas. Don�t lose it. LOL

14 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

Hicham�s idea was very noble, I think. He wanted to pay tribute to �great� teachers. But I am just an ordinary teacher, believe me... I wish he had done differently ... I wish he had asked permission to use these pictures ...

I like the meaning of your name!

I really like having my ideas challenged (like Vickiii), it allows me to be more understanding, more tolerant, more patient, it allows me to improve myself everyday and be a better person (even if all this sounds extremely naive!).
I have met so many nice people on eslprintables and you are one of them!

Frenchfrog

14 Oct 2008     

victor
Spain

Hello Frenchfrog,

I understand perfectly how you feel.
I think Hicham had good intentions, but he should ask for permission first. (and meanwhile, ask for the real information).
Anyway, that worksheet has been removed.

PS:
I like it when I see your photos in your avatars. It makes conversation "less virtual" and "more real". That�s why I publish my photo. Anyway, I also like your frogs!Thumbs Up

14 Oct 2008     

Anaisvi
Spain

Hello Frenchfrog!

If you let me give you my humble opinion, I think you are totally right in being disappoinnted. We all have the right to keep  our personal  data and information as a part of our privacy. That� s exactly the reason why I chose an avatar and not a real photo to stand in for me. Anyway, I agree with Domnitza that Hicham was just trying to offer us an original worksheet and so he didn�t mean to make you feel so bad. Surely he should have asked first, but his intention wasn�t that bad. Perhaps you two should talk about it to throw some light on the subject.

You�ve got my support!

A hug and a big kiss!

14 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

Yes, I am 100% sure Hicham did not mean to cause harm. It was really nice of him to think of teachers as heroes or stars! Personally I am not, especially these days...
Frenchfrog

14 Oct 2008     

domnitza
Romania

Hi again!

It�s so good to see a happy froggie again! LOL

Victor was right, our photos make us more real and less virtual. I am also eager to find more about every esl-friend I make, and I tell my students every time I use one of your worksheets.

See you!

14 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

HAPPY! HAPPY!

14 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

Hi, Silke!

I was aware of that possibility ... that�s why I removed my picture (but not quickly enough obviously...)
Thanks for your support!

Frenchfrog

14 Oct 2008     

spring
Turkey

Wow,wow....
There is happening very good discussions throughout the day and because of the time-difference I am either in school or sleeping(to wake up for the school.)
Hi Frenchfrog..
I totally understand you.You are right.I didn�t see Hicham�s worksheet but reading the comments now I know that I also take part in this occasion.I am sure that Hicham has no bad intention.Even he might have done this to honour us but he could ask for a permission.I am using my photo for the reasons stated above.I am in relation with some of the members it is nice to see them.By doing so they can have a perception about me also..But using it in worksheets without my permission,knowing that my photo will be in the hands of other people somewhere in other parts of the World,is something I have never thought of...I don�t know how to feel.I feel numb.Yet  it is a little bit disturbing,not comfortable..
But it is nice to see your photo Frenchfrog.Cos I wonder-like all the others-the creator of these wonderful worksheets.I didn�t forget your photo beside the window.I wanna see moreBig smile
And to Hicham:It is a pleasure for me to think about us as  heroes.It is nice to be in this group.Thank you.I know that your intention is innocent.But I would rather prefer you ask for it before....
Best wishes to everyoneHug

14 Oct 2008     

gilorit
Israel

Dear friends
I don�t want to comment on Hicham�s ws because I am sure he had good intentions.
What bothers me is not being able to see the people who send ws - those who do not want us to see who they are or even do not give their names - only a nickname.
I found really good creative people in this community and I feel I want to see them and know more about them - I think this site enables us to "meet" other people from different cultures and become friends.
Putting one�s picture insteadof any other avatar and writing your name seem important to me and it gives a feeling of a warm friendly community.
Orit :-)

14 Oct 2008