Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > DEAR MODERATORS    

DEAR MODERATORS

Katiana
Spain

Copying part of the content or style of a worksheet is without any doubt a kind of theft. I think Victor should include this kind of abuse among the rules that can lead to the removal of a worksheet. I feel terribly disappointed when I see somebody copying my style or other member�s style here. It�s discouraging. Haven�t you thought that if this becomes something usual some members might get tired of contributing and decide not to upload any more printables to avoid their ideas be copied over and over again? In fact there are some great contributors that have stopped uploading? Why? I�m not sure but maybe this could be the reason. It�s a question of respect, something we often teach our students.

I�m afraid a new kind of thief has been born, a more sophisticated one. I really think that if we let things like this happen, ESL printables will no longer be the ideal site Mena talks about in her welcome message (�What impresses me most is the companionship, the friendliness I can see here everyday��). PLEASE LET�S STOP THIS!!!

2 May 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

I agree with you Katiana...

For me to change some sentences and pictures but keeping the same layout is NOT FAIR!!!, some of you say it is not the same content, different sentences, I do not denyit... but think!! how would you feel if you were abut??

If we allow this kind of situations then we are allowing that everybody just change some sentences and pics but with your worksheet!! DEFINETELY REMOVE!!!!, I would feel terrible if someone had done this to me... JulietaVL

2 May 2009     

carinocitalgonzalez
Mexico

KATIANA
HI,
I AGREE WITH YOU WHEN YOU SAY IT �S A QUESTION OF RESPECT,
DID I TELL YOU THAT IM NEW HERE? BUT I HAVE READ THE FORUM,
THE TRUTH IS I TAKE MANY HOURS PREPARING THE MATERIALS THAT I USE IN MY CLASSES AND IM SHARING WITH ALL OF YOU AND WHEN I READ THAT ANOTHER TEACHER IS STEALING WORKS FROM OTHERS, I REALLY FEEL ANGRY,  SAD AND DISCOURAGED TO SHARE MORE WSS.

PLEASE DO SOMETHING!!!

SINCERELY
CARI�O

2 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

The rules already state that work must be your own & not that of some one else.

Plagiarism has been discussed at length on the site (just search the forums & you �ll see).

I thought the �brief � of the voting members was to decide the legality of uploads according to the existing rules (& there is no rule against using other worksheets as templates) & not to judge the quality of content.

Who decided on the term �moderators � for the voting members? I �m just curious because I usually find forum moderators can make judgements (& apply their decision) about the moral & ethical virtue of discussions & posts rather than just deciding whether a piece of work meets the rules & guidelines established. That is why you don �t find me using the term �moderator � for our esteemed colleagues...

I �m with Vickiii & Mena on this one - there is no rule to say you can �t use another member �s item as a template, it �s just polite to ask first!

2 May 2009     

jecika
Serbia

Speaking in general !!!

1. Send a private message to a contributor who inspired you to create a worksheet asking whether he has a problem with it or not

2. Write in the description of your worksheet �to create my worksheet I was inspired by __________ � and give a link to his / her worksheet

2 May 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

I think that is very good advice jecika. �By doing it that way nobody gets hurt! They have the choice of saying YES and feeling very flattered by the request or if the choose, �they can say " I really would prefer that you do not to use my worksheet". It would create a much more brotherly and sisterly mood �here I think. �Thanks Jecika Hug��

2 May 2009     

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

Dear Silke,

You �re right, as usual. That �s why I �m not defending abut. He copied Katiana �s style from the very beginning. What I �m defending is that we can �t spend hours to do a ws and then someone just downloads it, changes the sentences, which takes 10 minutes, the title and voila! it �s their own work.
Mena says there �s no written rule about it. Ok. There �s no written law in our society saying it �s forbidden to kick someone but  we all know it �s wrong to do it.

We have our own morality to see if something is right or wrong wether there �s a rule or not.

Big hugs dear Silke. You �re always a sensible person, I know that.

Lots of kissessss!!!!

Mar

2 May 2009     

Katiana
Spain

To Mar and Silke

I�m happy to see that you Silke have also noticed Abut copies my style. I thought that only Mar and I had noticed. Can you have a look at this:

Abut�s

http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/author.asp?user=141127&orderby=id#thetop

Mine uploaded on the 21st April

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=218150#thetop

This happens all the time, some days after I upload a doc Abut comes with one based on mine. I know that he/she changes the sentences, but the idea, the style, the layout is copied from mine. I�m really disappointed. I have already written him/her messages but he/she does not admit copying me. It�s discouraging. I can�t believe that certain people say that we should take it as a compliment..

Thanks my dear friends for your support.

Katiana

2 May 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Thanks to everyone who shared their opinions on this issue. 

3 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2