Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > DON ´T MISS THIS THREAD! WHAT DOES YOUR NAME MEAN?    

DON ´T MISS THIS THREAD! WHAT DOES YOUR NAME MEAN?

arkel
Ireland

My mother gave me my name Anne Rosemary. Anne because she liked it and Rosemary, (which I �m called), because I was born on the day of The Holy Rosary and phonetically Rosemary sounded similar. I �ve just looked it up and here it is:

ROSEMARY

Usage: English

Pronounced: ROZ-mə-ree  [key]

Combination of ROSE and MARY. This name can also be given in reference to the herb, which gets its name from Latin ros marinus meaning "dew of the sea". It came into use as a given name in the 19th century.

I love the sound of sea so I was happy to find out the meaning.

2 May 2009     

FroggyClaudine
France

My name is Claudine which is one of the many names devired from Claude which comes from the latin Claudius which means the one who limps. Claudines are supposed to be outgoing and slim but I �m quite shy and fat !!!
Thanks for starting this topic.

2 May 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

My given name is Vicki

My dad wanted to call me Victoria - but he hates it when people shorten christian names so he shortened it for me to Vicki. 

It means victorious which is probably why I am so competitive.

3 May 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

I must admit that for a long time my name: Julieta was not pretty for me, maybe because allll the people asked me: where is your Romeo?? lol!!! it was not funny for me

But now they do not ask me for Romeo, the tell me: are you JulietaVenegas?? a famous singer in my country... lol again!!!

But I have never met one girl with my name here in my country, I know some actresses with my name but not a girl form here.... so here is the meaning:

JULIETA
Origin: Latin
Meaning: Youthful; Gracious

I like it a lot!!

3 May 2009     

efush
Israel

My name is Efrat - from the Hebrew bible
(In the English translation it �s written Ephrath).

It �s the place where mother Rachel had been buried.

I once explained that for a child and he said:
-"So you are called after a cemetery"
-"No. No. It �s a place. It �s a place!".
AngryLOLAngry

I loved reading all your beautiful explanations, from victory, light and blind ones to sound of birds. Very interesting!

3 May 2009     

serene
Greece

My name is Areti, which means virtue in English and is the opposite of Kakia (vice). 

There �s an ancient Greek myth about Hercules, a hero or semi-god, according to the ancient Greeks, which mentions my name. Here it is.

"The choice of Hercules"

Hercules� choice is thus: on the verge of manhood, he is contemplating his future when two women appear to him. One, Vice, eager and seductive, shows him a path which seems to offer easy progress to a life of indolent pleasure. The other, tall and beautiful and identified as Virtue, warns Hercules that what is truly good can only be obtained through hard effort; and only then can Hercules gain supreme glory. So he finally chose the path of Virtue.

3 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2