Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The Ramblings of an Old Fart. Monitoring Material Uploaded.    

The Ramblings of an Old Fart. Monitoring Material Uploaded.

dennismychina
China

The Ramblings of an Old Fart. Monitoring Material Uploaded.

Hi All,

Monitoring material uploaded to �OUR� (As a wise man once said;  This site, by the people of the people�.) site is obvious important. How it is done is even more important. The system used now is fine ie. �Majority rules�. However, currently, (I believe from the little I�ve seen) it only takes two or possibly three moderators to achieve a majority.  I think there should be a minimum of a lot more votes for the system to work fairly. This will take more time for a decision of acceptability to be made but so what. If undesirable work is removed within a day, a fortnight or even longer, no big deal, it will be removed and will be removed with a lot less impulsiveness.

I also believe that the moderators should have the courage of their convictions and should sign their recommendations.

Furthermore, some of the work being removed is from a time when fewer rules prevailed and in those cases I believe the points (already gained) should stay.

This site IS by the people of the people  and it is painful to see such discontentment and bitchiness overcome the main objectives, it could be said, ethos, of this site.

Time goes on and evolution & development take place, therefore we shouldn�t bulk at the changes we see. The vast number of new members highlights what was always here but in smaller doses. All that means is that different rules need to be applied, more tolerance and understanding from the older members and a bit of discernment from the newer members.

As in any organisation, as it grows the teething problems grow with it.

I must admit that, although I was never a hugely active member, I really enjoyed the banter for the resent past. The addiction shown by the hard core of members. I could visualise them in their night cloths (aaaah but not to vividly) switching on the computer before the kettle in the morning so they could log on for a few minutes, not to look for new material but to say hi to their �FRIENDS� and would then have to hurry or be late for school.

That, I�m sure, will happen again but with a different group or groups.

To the people I�m talking about, the stalwarts who have stuck it out, it�s so nice to see, although in many cases, a lot less often, your comments on the site. And to the people who have moved on, I�m sure you still have a peek.

I am never the less grateful to the members who still upload their wonderful material. They will remain an inspiration for new and old members alike and their material, a yardstick for the quality of teaching materials we should strive to present to out students.

Fondest Love.

Dennis.

3 May 2009      

aftab57
United Kingdom

You have captured the spirit and essence of this site. Totally agree.

3 May 2009