Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What is correct?    

What is correct?

ynroko1
Slovenia

What is correct?

Hej.
I have doubts about the title of an essay my students had to write about.

Which title is correct? / What is the difference between the titles:

"Me and My computer - Pros and Cons"  or

"I and My Compter - Pros and Cons"?

Thank you for help.

Have a nice Sunday.

Y.

3 May 2009      

Apodo
Australia

My computer and I - Pros and Cons  would be normally used (Subjective case).
We usually don �t put �I � first when using �and � to join two subject words.

Pros and Cons of my Computer and me   (objective case)

3 May 2009     

rach81
Philippines

Hi,

I do agree with Apodo, When pronouns are used as subjects in a sentence the subjective case of pronouns should be used. I, You, he, she, it, we, and they are the pronouns in the subjective case and in formal writing if a compound subject consists of a noun and a pronoun the noun always come first. So, Apodo is right.

hugs c" �)

rach

3 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Me and my Computer is correct. The way you can tell is to take off "and" and what follows. For instance if the ws was about myself I would say "Me".  If I added other objects I would put them after  the "and". Ex. Me and my Horse, Me and My Hobbies etc.

3 May 2009     

rach81
Philippines

Hi spagman,

Maybe what you are referring to is when the pronoun is used as an object like Ex. My mom gave Anna and me a gift. Now if you take ANA off the sentence it will become my mom gave me a gift, which is correct. But The question here is where is the correct placement of the pronoun when it is used in a compound subject. In English grammar the rule clearly says that if a pronoun and a noun are used as compound subjects, the noun always comes first the pronoun only follows. Therefore �Me and my computer� is grammatically incorrect in formal writing  it should be, My computer and I. It�s in the rules of grammar.

Hope I made myself clear.

HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!

HUGS

rach  c",)

3 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Rach,
I see your point but what I said is still okay for non-formal writing.  Heck, people start sentences with And and But now.  Titles do not follow the same rules as sentences.

3 May 2009     

arkel
Ireland

As a native speaker I would say �me and my computer � meaning this essay is about me and my computer. Anything else sounds really strange.

3 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Arkel,
Thank you. Since it is a title it is different from a sentence.

3 May 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I always learned to name another person or thing before myself.
That was the polite thing to do.
for example:

Therefore I would write:

My computer and I are not on good terms!
My friend and I got into a lot of trouble.
Sally and I went to the movies last night
My family and I travel a lot.
The team and I won the championship.

L

3 May 2009     

rach81
Philippines

Hi spagman,

Yah, that �s why I said normally pronoun comes after the noun in formal writing, and since our friend from Sweden  is referring to a title of an essay, therefore it should use formal Language. Unless the tone of the essay is informal though.

hugs

rach c",)

3 May 2009     

rach81
Philippines

Hi,
I agree with libertybelle!
One more thing, even though it is a title it should still follow grammatical rules.
I �m sure you would agree that this title isn �t a good one. " THERE ARE A BUG IN MY COMPUTER" so following grammatical rules even in titles is important.

I like this site so much. I can learn lots of things like in this discussion.

hugs

rach c",)

3 May 2009     

1    2    Next >