Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Problems with my student who is also my niece    

Problems with my student who is also my niece

maria fakitsa
Greece

Problems with my student who is also my niece

last year i started teaching english to my niece. During our first year she was a very good student but this year a have a big problem with her concetrating and her homework. I have tryed to talk to her but she finds all kind of excuses. I hope you that you may have some ideas because i can �t think of anything else.

3 May 2009      

life_line
Ukraine

Hi there, dear Maria.

I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!. My niece didn �t want to study anymore. What I did is just send her home anytime she �s not ready and talk to her parents. I told her that it took me time to prepare to her lessons and I had to cancel some of my plans just to meet with her and teach her some English. And it helped. She �s more responsible now than she used to be. The problem is that your niece is taking your for granted. Just let her feel that she might lose you and your time and it will work!Wink

3 May 2009     

maria fakitsa
Greece

Hi!

Thanks for your answer!! I think that it might be a  good ideaClap

3 May 2009     

life_line
Ukraine

You are welcome. I hope I could help. If you need any further advice- just ask!

3 May 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

I had the same problem with a student who comes to my house. He comes because his Mum wants him to come ... not because he wants to improve his English. He used to sit there and stare into space and not even listen to me. So in the end I did what life-line said and just told him to go home and not to bother coming back until he really wanted to work for himself. I think he was so worried about having to go home and tell his Mum that I did not want him to come anymore that he changed his attitude totally. Now he really tries in the lessons.
You gotta be crule to be kind.. (he he)  Love Yeti xx

3 May 2009     

johanne23232
Israel

You don �t say how old she is...but in any case my approach would be to try to take the pressure OFF.....have some fun English time with her so that she looks forward to her lessons with you, instead of having it feel like school.  Why not have some nice games and songs, and praise her a lot. Clown

3 May 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Hi Maria. �Maybe you might like to take a look at an item that was posted by IVONA and KIREYA earlier.. It is just wonderful. �About students who seem to be uninterested in class.

I think it is fab!Thumbs Up

3 May 2009     

ants
Switzerland

That was really wonderful...really worth watching and I �m going to send the link onto another friend who I know will really enjoy it too!!
Thanks for sharing!! Smile

3 May 2009