Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > B&W worksheets    

B&W worksheets

flo84
France

B&W worksheets

I have just had a look at the reported worksheets and I am surprised to see that B&W versions are being reported. I don �t agree at all with that because people had made an extra effort to make a new ws in B&W. Not all of us are computer experts and although we try to reduce our documents as much as we can, it is sometimes impossible to send colour and B&W versions together. Someone complained that people will get more points doing that. Well I don �t understand that complaint either. If people download it, isn �t it because they like it and need it ? And these points are not stolen, it takes time to turn a coloured version into B&W when you are no expert!
Thanks for reading my post and have a great day everybody

5 May 2009      

nkappa
Greece

I totally agree with you!!

It �s a complete esl resource!!!!

It �s not a blank page or a clip art! I think that kind of worksheets must be reported according to the rules! This person make great effort to do all that and furthermore other users asked her to do it! That means that some people needed that. The same has happened to me! Please think fairly before reporting!

5 May 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

I also agree.

At the beginning of the year I uploaded 2 b&w worksheets but before doing so I asked here if it would be OK.

However, later on Victor asked us not to download 2 versions of the same ws because the printer gives us this option - although the result is quite different. As alex1968 mentioned, this option prints in shades of gray so we end up using a lot of ink anyway.

5 May 2009     

chorima
Spain

In my opinion there are two ways of  uploading B&W worksheets. One is doing what can be done printing in "grey scale" in the printer. For me, this is not right. The other way is REDESIGNING and preparing the worksheet TO SAVE INK, especially in those cases in which background colours cannot be omitted without effort..... (we are not ALL experts at computers)

I CANNOT understand how people can report contributions wich are SO USEFUL TO MANY OF US who cannot print IN COLOUR for our students.

I asked paulaesl to upload her GREAT worksheets in b&w because I couldn�t print them without using a lot of ink. What is wrong with that?????? She �s made that EFFORT and besides, she �s been so kind as to UPLOAD COMBOS (several worksheets together).

IS IT AGAINST THE RULES?.....but it is NOT against the rules uploading ONE SINGLE SHEET with just some lines (whatever it is....)

I am a bit upset about this......especially if as a consequence of asking paulaesl to upload her great ws in B&W, her contributions are deleted WHEN THEY ARE SO USEFUL TO MANY OF US.

5 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

You can read Victor �s thoughts from February in this discussion thread:

His first thoughts thrown open for discussion:
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=4694

The decision:
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=4708

SO, to upload a B & W version is okay & should not be reported as a duplicate (but read the whole thread please), but the preference is to send it the same day.

As we now also have a daily upload limit it may not always be possible to upload the worksheet B&W (not greyscale) revision the same day.

Regards,
AB

p.s. I wish all the members & �moderators � would do a quick review of this & many other discussions (with Victor) about required standards for uploads. It would save a lot of pain & indignation for all.

5 May 2009     

flo84
France

Yes you �re right Alien Boy. I did not know Victor had already mentioned that problem and for now on I �ll check first.

5 May 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Thank you Alien Boy! Always at the right place at the right time! lolol...

The truth is that I had completely forgotten we had discussed about this issue and about victor �s  final decision when I was voting yesterday night. My point of view was not different though:

"It should not be removed. However, Id like to make a suggestion. Can you [members in general] please try to upload your B&W version together with the original? Most worksheets are one or 2 pages only, so there �s really plenty of space left to upload this version. If, for example, your worksheet is 180kb, when you copy and paste it and turn it a Black and white version, it won �t take another 180kb. On the whole, your worksheet will be maybe 240kb. Don �t ask me why it doesnt double, I have no idea, but that �s the way it works. mena" (Since then Alien Boy has already been so kind to explain to me the reason why it so happens)

Of course today we should not vote for the removal of those worksheets because people have completely forgotten what was discussed here, but I think it appropriate to remind victor �s final  words from those same threads as we should take that into account from now on:

"- If the BW worksheet is just a Grayscale version of the original one, don �t send it. Users can choose that option in their own printer.

- If the BW worksheet is re-designed (removing backgrounds, using plain pictures, etc) we �ll really appreciate if you send it, but BOTH WORKSHEETS MUST BE UPLOADED THE SAME DAY. In this way, users can choose the version they prefer, and nobody will acuse you of trying to get additional points with the same worksheet."

"Well, send B&W and color versions in the same document is the best option, I think. But sometimes it will be impossible, because of the size limit."

5 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

When it �s time to vote if a worksheet should be removed or not, I base my vote using the  guidelines given in the sidebar to the right. I don �t see anything about greyscale worksheets being forbidden. Until it becomes a rule, I �ll keep on voting to keep those sheets.

Thank you AlienBoy for the update, I did not see Victor �s threads.

5 May 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Then I think vitor should consider the possibility of making his words  a rule and add it to the guidelines in the  sidebar. Let �s be realistic, there is no need to make 2 uploads of the same worksheet in 2 versions. Let �s include it all in a single upload, ubless, of course, it exceeds the 300kb after being resized.

A nice day to you all.
mena

5 May 2009