Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Actor: femenine and masculine?    

Actor: femenine and masculine?

Tere-arg
Argentina

Actor: femenine and masculine?

I have always known two forms -according to gender- for nouns like actor and waiter:

actor/actress                   waiter/waitress

Some years ago I started to use New English File. There it said it was common to use actor/waiter for both genders.
Talking with native speakers and teachers I was told it was not so.

Now I find the same in other text book (English in mind)

Any help?

Tks in advance

ps Need a new grammar book urgently!Confused
Any advice?

5 May 2009      

Spagman63
Hong Kong

It used to be that way but it changed a few years ago.  Now it is actor for both male/female.  

5 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

It might have changed but to us natives (at least me, myself and I Smile)... actor is for a man and actress for a woman...  same with waiter/waitress... 

5 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

When I was in acting school in TN everyone was called an actor regardless of race, colour, creed or gender. I´ve been here toou long. I am using Us in all my wourds. lol 

5 May 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

What about these? LOL

5 May 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I agree with Zora.
I would never call Meryl Streep and actor.
She is an actress!

5 May 2009     

Akanah
Spain

Well, i �ve never called a female "actor" but, the truth is that I �ve read things like "Vote the best actor (female)". My question for the native speakers: Do you use "actress" when talking and "actor (female)" for awards, lists, groups...?

In Spanish we also have two words "actor" = actor (Eng) and "actriz" = actress. As Libertybelle and Zara, we never say "actor" reffering to a woman but, when talking about a group, we say "a group of actors" (both men and women)

regards from Spain :=)

5 May 2009     

libertybelle
United States

The Oscars nominate people in the categories of:

Best leading actor or best leading actress.
You can �t go any higher than that.

See here.
http://www.oscar.com/nominees/?pn=nominees

5 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

Akanah Smile

Yes, we do use a "group of actors" to refer to both as you would in Spanish... And the answer to the other question is that I have seen... Best Supporting Actress, Best Actress awards... so the answer is "yes" -  I guess we do when we want to specify who the award goes to. Now if the award could go to a man or a woman - then we probably would only use "actor".

Oops butted in on Liberty!! Sorry girl!

5 May 2009     

Akanah
Spain

Thxs girls :=)

I always use "actress" but I �ve seen "best actor (female)" in some sites. Take a look:

5 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hi again! I took a look at both sites and they seem to be "foreign" awards... So, it might just be that is the reason for the "Actor (female)" thing... I honestly can �t say that I �ve paid much attention to this before now BUT to me, as a native, it sounds funny to say "Best Female Actor" / "Best Actor (Female)  award.. sounds like the actor in question is a guy pretending to be a woman!!! LOL 

5 May 2009     

1    2    Next >