Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > To all those ´moderators ´ who judge their friends one way & others differently...    

To all those ´moderators ´ who judge their friends one way & others differently...

moravc
Czech Republic

Dear Mishuna,
Basically I suggest to combine pictures AND activities IN ONE single document...
or uploading a SET of MANY pictures, reaching the limit of 300 kB / 500 kB if possible
I JUST suggest improving the QUALITY and QUANTITY of content...
I suggest uploading THE BEST the contributor has and upload AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE in a single file...
I suggest sharing unique, original ideas + working on the worksheet for some time...

The problem is that SOME contributors try to IMPLY that a copied picture is a perfect tool for all nursery teachers and SO THEY DON�T HAVE TO SHARE MORE THAN A SINGLE PICTURE WITH 3 SENTENCES... I don �t like when somebody says that a single pic is good enough for nurseries, so he can upload as little as possible... Confused

Do not misunderstand me... I do use cute pictures... I do like pics too BUT I ALWAYS INCLUDE several exercises of mine... HOW COULD I CALL a document "MY WORKSHEET" if the MAJORITY is not my creation, my work ???

That �s a big question... :-D   
wow Big smile this discussion is getting hotter Cool and hotter Embarrassed
DEAR FRIENDS, what do you think about it ??? Wink I´d love to read different points of view!

6 May 2009     

deinha
Brazil

My suggestion is similar to others I �ve read here in topics like this:
--> Creating a different category just for this kind of flashcards with basically nothing else added, no matter if a single one or a page full of them. The issue would be to decide if and/or how those ws would get points.

I am not basing my idea on how useful or not this work is, but on all the trouble it has been causing. It �s clear that, unfortunately some people have been  downloading pictures just to get points, and others, who do that because they work with those tools and know how useful they are, are being punished.

6 May 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I love flashcards.  Thats why I started the flashcard fanclub on here. 

I find that a page filled with pictures - and labelled flashcards is a wee bit insulting to our intelligence.

A good flashcard upload (In my humble - yet quite conceited opinion) looks like this:

Flashcards
Worksheet
activitysheet

now that is a set worth downloading! 

Flashcards with real activities that accompany them.  Maybe not in the same document - due to size - but most definitely with similar name - making it easy to find them - and real activities to reinforce what you are learning.

Flashcards alone are not enough to cement concepts in childrens minds.

A one off file with a whole lot of pictures with no content related ideas - is just a random bunch of pictures really.

But then - some people think thats great and download it - so who am I to say?

6 May 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I have just had a look at the reported printable and it seems that she has updated it with an activity...so rather than being a page of copy and pasted pictures with nothing added she has now added the words listen to your teacher and colour (along those lines) .....
The problem is with people in different time zones is that people would have voted on what they first saw which was colouring pictures with no activity. Once you have voted you cannot go back and change your vote so she might have to re upload them in their updated state again.

Victor has been very clear with his examples inside the page of what he wants on his site. Copy and paste with no additional user input is not ok, neither is basic colouring without some activity or instruction in english. For anyone who voted before she has updated they would have voted according to the guidelines given.

I am very pleased to see though that she has updated her other pages so that they fall within the guidelines of this site.
If you could see inside the page AB you would find that the majority of people voting check very carefully and vote on the side of caution too.

EDIT: I have no idea about who you are talking about at the beginning of your post, nor the cards in question...so without a reference point I can´t check! But I would say that the majority of the people who vote are very fair and impartial AND they leave their names after a comment. You have to remember that not everybody checks everything every day... I certainly don´t... it is too big of a job...

6 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

My next question then is this:

Is it just enough to add a sentence to some pictures from another source?

If so, then I can already see that a lot of reported & deleted uploads should not have been removed.

I �ve seen the attached sentence... really is that all?

I know at least 1 case where there was far more individual input into a document, edited images & further activity detail added.... so what makes the �Number � upload with 1 sentence added any better than that one (or many others that are no longer here)?

I am really looking for consistency amongst the �moderators � more than anything else because I don �t believe that it exists at this point in time.

6 May 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Well in all honesty if I am unsure I don �t vote... which is unhelpful in answering your question I know...
The examples that Victor has given indicate that if the picture has even one sentence or even an english word on it then it can be used for English teaching (ie not German etc) ....

I have not voted for anything today... I don �t have time... I am marking some assignments before I have classes all afternoon...

There is this grey area.... and that grey area can only really be solved with some more graphic examples from victor about what he wants to stay or go.... these examples would be great as a link of the forum so that everyone can see what the guidelines are and what the moderators are looking at before they decide yes or no as well.....

I am sure after a settling in period all of these things will be ironed out! I hope so anyway!

6 May 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

The moderators do tend to go on the side of caution.

If someone says it is stolen - with no link - then people say give us a link or leave it.

Personally if someone uploads from a book - and someone else has given the book details - I refrain from voting - unless I actually know the book.

Many worksheets are voted on that are very border line.  Put if they could be an esl sheet - people tend to vote stay.  There are some examples given by Victor - that clearly show what he wants the moderators to vote on.  I just follow those guidelines

6 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

This also then presents an issue for flashcards (& I know I have mentioned this probably too many times before). If a flashcard then has the addition of a descriptive word in English then it is on par with a colouring sheet with a word of English too. So why have so many flash cards been removed?

Just posing the thought out loud again.

I agree with deinha, there should be a totally separate arrangement for those uploading just image related documents... but how does Victor feel?

6 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

I see this topic is still somewhat active. I was following it last night but was too tired to respond to it.

First, I �d like to say I never take into account whose worksheet it is when voting. You could be from Canada, Jamaica, Denmark or The Moon... it has no bearing on my decision. Though, I will say this I prefer to "save" if possible than "delete"... Since one man �s "non ESL resource" could be another teacher �s treasure.

Secondly, it �s not a points race here. I have said this a thousand times... Everybody contributes what they can or what they use in class and they find useful... and if I spend 5 hours on something while another spends 15 minutes, well so be it... I have good worksheets with few points but I know that they are great worksheets - am I jealous of others with more? No, I am not.  I contribute what I do because I love to make stuff and share them BUT I realize that not everyone is creative nor do they enjoy making worksheets!  

Thirdly, A LOT OF talk has gone on around FC and colouring pages. And I would like to throw out a hypothetical situation. - What if somebody hand drew a flashcard set and put one word under it.. Would people consider it not useful, an easy way to gain points even if that person had spent days or weeks on it??

I really think people should be a tad more tolerant with others. I can �t draw and I need to take images from the Net. I takes me HOURS to assemble a nice FC set and I really do  appreciate being able to come here and find what I need... and that �s why I usually vote for FC to stay or be improved if they look iffy.

Phew... long winded, sorry....

Linda

6 May 2009     

wolfy
Chile

talking about flashcards don �t forget the set that victor has posted up. �I don �t know if anyone would dare report those. �They are just a clipart image and a word.

6 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2