Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Computer Science    

Computer Science

gicela
Argentina

Computer Science

Hello dear teachers,

I have to teach vocabulary about Computer Science to 17 years old students, Their level is beginner to intermediate. I have asked you for help and you have advised me about some books. I have download some worksheets too. Now I am asking for your help again because I am lost. It is the first time that I am going to teach specific vocabulary. I don�t know which material to start with. It has to be a simple but enjoyable lesson. What topics do you think teenagers are interested in? What can you suggest me to teach in the first lesson? (I already know the students)

I would appreciate your reply.

7 May 2009      

trelly
Argentina

I think you should start from general to specific; why don �t you start asking them about why they chose to study Computer Science? Then, you can start with "transparent" vocabulary - computer science has lots of vocabulary that students already know, for instance computer parts. Then, you can work with, for example, different software the students are using in other subjects.
I �ll check my pc during the weekend, I think I have some simple activities you may like to use.
Cheers!

7 May 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Gicela,

I always like to start a new topic with some formative assessment to find out what the students already know.  A couple of suggestions:
IDEA ONE
1) Split into teams of 3 - 5 students (depending on class size)
2) Give each team a large piece of butcher paper and some felts or pens.
3) Tell the students to split their sheet into 4 sections and write their names on the back.
4) Give them a category that you know they will have language for.  (i.e. The internet)  Tell them they have 3 minutes to record as many words as possible about the internet (focussing on computer science terms.
5) After 3 mintues call out stop - make them drop their pens on the floor.
6) Get each group to call a word out from their list.
7) other groups put their hand up if they have that word. 
8) if no other group has the word they get 2 points.  If another group has the word - every group with that word gets a point (including the group who reported it).
9) continue until no words are left.
10) repeat the process three more times with three different categories. 
11) Give a chocolate to each person in the winning group.
12) take in their work - you now have a lexicon to start your topic and a formative assessment sheet that can be compared to their vocabulary at the end of the unit.

IDEA TWO
1) Make a list of some target vocabulary that you assume the students know and some vocabulary you expect them to learn during the course.

2) On one card put a vocabulary word - on the other card put the definition (or a picture if possible - pictures are best as you are trying to test their vocabulary not their reading comprehension).

3) Repeat this for each vocabulary word (have up to 20 for 17 year olds - use upto 10 for 10 year olds)

4) MAke a set of these cards for each group in your class.

5) Split the kids into groups of 3 - 5 students.

6) Give them the cards and a set time of 5 minutes to match up as many as possible. 

7) At the end of 5 minutes take a photo of each groups organisation and put their names on it.  This is your formative assessment - you now know what you need to teach - and have comparative data for the end of the course.

Hope this is helpful
Vickiii

7 May 2009     

gicela
Argentina

Thank you very much Trelly and Vickiii. You helped me a lot. I will put into practice your nice ideas.

7 May 2009