Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Books    

Books

ashley moyle
Australia

Books

Can anyone suggest some work books for teaching younger kids (years 2 and 4) english. I would like to teach them in a structured way. But, I am new to teaching english. Its one thing to speak it, but another to explain it. Who thought it could be so difficult!

PS: Please check out some of my worksheets.

Thank you.

8 May 2009      

ants
Switzerland

Hi Ashley,

I wouldn �t teach anything like that, in the way of grammar rules, etc to kids so young.

Learning at that age should be fun...that �s the best way of learning anything.
Kids like playing games and learn very fast that way.Smile

Play games with flashcards and make simple sentences and even if they just say a word...it �s a start...the rest they �ll learn when they are a bit older.

Check out MES-English.com and get ideas for fun games/flashcards there or other sites for really young kids!!

Good luck and make learning fun for the kids and you �ll also enjoy the lesson!!Thumbs Up
Fiona

8 May 2009     

ants
Switzerland

OOps it �s too early in the morning for me to be on the computer!!
I �ve just seen my mistake!!LOL
Good luck with finding books for your students!!
Fiona.

8 May 2009     

catturn
Australia

Hi Ashley,

Its a whole new ball game with this age group because you can �t rely on reading and writing! Here �s some ideas:
- songs: eg. "heads, shoulders, knees & toes", �the hokey pokey � etc,
- nursery rhymnes
 - picture books (eg. The Hungry Caterpillar to learn food voacb).
- Also bringing in as many "real" things as you can to class is great: eg. real food to teach vocab

Good luck! Have fun!

Cat

8 May 2009     

Apodo
Australia

Hi Ashley,
Have sent you a PM about a series of books � Learning English in Australia �  for ages 8-12.

I don �t know where you are in Australia, but there is a shop �The Language People � in Brisbane which may be able to help with workbooks. They have a website & will post items.

8 May 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

Hi Ashley, I teach kindergarten kids too and its a challenge I know!!!!! I had your problem at the beginning and bought a book but I found that many things in the book sounds great but when you try to do these things with 10 kids under 6 then it is just crazy. For example in my book it said to teach the song 5 little ducks we should have plastic ducks floating in a basin of water. Are they crazy??????? A tub of water with loads of kids is asking for trouble. he he
Anyway I decided to just make it up as I go along because as Fiona says they just want to play at this age anyway. At the moment I am making an English scrapbook with them which is working very well. For every theme I do they stick or colour something and put it into the book (only ten mins of the lesson) then we can keep looking back at it to review the words. Works pretty well for me. Otherwise lots of songs and games and even short stories to read to them. If you need some lesson ideas drop me a PM and I will send you some of the ones that worked with me.
Hope this helps,

Take care, Hows life in Oz?  Big hugs Yeti xx

8 May 2009     

catturn
Australia

whoops! Have just realised you teach "year 2" not 2 year olds! my bad!

8 May 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

Oh sorry I thought you meant 2 and 4 year olds too. sorry.

8 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Robert Munsch books are absolutely a hit with my kids.
Other titles:
Click Clack Moo, Cows that Type
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
The very hungry caterpillar
From head to toe
Ten in a bed (also a song)

Barefoot Books Publishers have a great collection of songs that are also on cd. My first and second graders love them.

My grade 1 and 2 ESL curriculum is about songs, rhymes and stories so my list could be longer than that. I do have material for almost all the titles I �ve given you. Just send me a private message if you need more.

8 May 2009