Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Reply to Ivush´s restaurant lesson question    

Reply to Ivush´s restaurant lesson question

douglas
United States

Reply to Ivush´s restaurant lesson question

I can �t seem to reply to your post so here is anew one.

What I have done is download some real menus off the internet and role-played where I was the waiter and they had to order. 
 Being the waiter I could through in difficult questions if I wanted to. 

I want to expand this next time by printing out pictures of the items on the menu and "serving" the items that students order.  It will be fun to see the look on their faces when they see what they really ordered.  Another variation is to bring them the wrong thing and make them try to correct it.

Just an Idea.

EDIT:  I really like Cheezels additonal ideas to the role-playing--thanks

9 May 2009      

cheezels
New Zealand

hmmmm I copied and pasted here instead... because when I went into the thread my post was very narrow and very long!!!!!
Drama is definitely the fun way to go... BOURNA has a whole range of AWESOME menus for loads of different restaurants... you could split your class into different types of restaurants and customers.... also I would give out some "character cards"

ie: grumpy customer, annoying waiter who hovers around the table and always asks if everything is all right, customer who is picky with their food, customer who keeps changing their order, complaining customer, customer who is vegetarian and wants something taken out of their order, customer who is watching their weight so wants a low fat meal, waiter who keeps mixing up the orders, customer who orders a lot because they are really hungry! (Character cards are really fun to work with as the students really get into being "their character"... it makes it even more funny when the students keep their character a secret so that they can surprise others in their group with  their demands or behaviour and see how the rest of the group reacts....)
And of course all of this takes place in whatever restaurant you chose... (they can have time to prepare their short dialogue: entering, being seated, ordering, receiving their meals, (complaining), asking for the bill, getting the bill, paying etc....
Then each group presents their show....
I have done this and it was a hilarious lesson, but importantly every student had fun while at the same time practising their speaking!

9 May 2009     

ivush
Czech Republic

To Douglas and Cheezels: Excellent tips, sweethearts! I will definitely try these. Thank you very much!

9 May 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

I can´t seem to reply to your thread either at the moment. Here are some more links.

9 May 2009