Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Movie    

Movie

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Movie

Dear colleagues,
Could you, please, recommend some good movies to watch with adult students? I �m looking for something interesting, funny and gripping with good and useful dialogues at the same time, a movie which will impress the Ss. Thank you in advance Big smile

9 May 2009      

yolprica
Spain

My students loved Mama Mia. It �s a musical but  there are also entertaining dialogues and the plot is ideal for them. I am talking about students who are 15-17 years old. Of course they should watch it with subtitles in English.

9 May 2009     

Highlands
Argentina

I also work with adults (25 to 36 more or less). May be you should look for somethin controversial so that they reinforce their speaking skills. These are not funny but they`re very useful to make them speak for example: "Awake" is the movie. It�s a really good movie but it has to be seen by ADULTS not young adults. If you want more details, just tell me.

Cielo

9 May 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I prefer to work with series. I have used "Desperate Housewives" which gives us the opportunity to discuss every day matters (murder,  suicide, principles, family, life style, etc) and "Friends".

9 May 2009     

life_line
Ukraine

I usually work using "Friends" and my Ss move them. Sure this it suitable for adults since all the topics are covered. If you want more detail, pm me and I �ll help you. I �ll also provide some likns if you �re interested!

9 May 2009     

nikita2008
Argentina

I love movies, here are some good ones (mix of everything):

The truman show
The bucket list
Frida
Shall we dance
Radio
When Harry met Sally
Devil wears Prada
You got mail
A few good men
The mirror has two faces
Some chapters of Ally Mcbeal
Seven

Some are comedies, others are more controversial, good to explore opinions. Just some ideas. Maybe you can try a survey or a quiz asking about their preferences, so you can choose the best option for them.

Good luck!Smile

9 May 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Thank you so much everybody for your suggestions!!!!!!! Hug

9 May 2009     

mjotab
Spain

My students love TV series, and they are good because you can finish one episode in one class. Our favourite is IT Crowd, hilarious, British, and one of the characters is Irish , so you have different accents. You can see some scenes in youtube.

9 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I �d have to recommend �When harry Met Sally". Sure, it �s a little old, but the dialogue is very funny, the plot is fun, & there is some very colourful & interesting language used.

10 May 2009     

angryparrot
United Kingdom

Edward Scissorhands, excellent for a debate on disability and prejudice.

10 May 2009     

roneydirt
United States

When it comes to movies it may also depend on what you want to focus on.  I have used movies and sitcoms to show other accents since for the most part I am the only Native English teacher my student sees, and for some the only Native English speaker they have met.  I would also recommend looking at old sitcoms where they focus on individuals faces when they are speaking.  Kind of you see the facial expression while they are speaking.    My other recommendation is a list of questions for them to answer while watching the movie or tv sitcom with some open ended questions mixed in for the later discussion.  Here is a list of movies I have used and sitcoms:  (Some were only clips from different programs that went with the regular teacher lessons as a supplement.)

Full House (this one because they have a version in Korea so we discussed the differences)
Adam �s Family
The Three Stooges
The Monkees
Alf
Family Matters (Love Steve...)
Cosby
Twilight Zone
Dr Who
Benson
Fresh Prince of Bel-air
The Munsters
Mr Bean

Movies: (Had a movie club we did older and new movies mixed)
The Goonies
Transformers  (it was the last day so more for fun)
The Adam �s Family
Jumanji
Peter Pan
Eragon
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Tom Sawyer
The Outsiders
Streets of Fire (music and action) (not for young teens)
Night at the Museum
Santa Clause

Edit
Forgot to add it is easier to find the scripts for the older TV sitcoms than the newer shows as well as the movies.  You can have them act out their favorite scene.  I usually let them pick and bring in their own propts.  Of course I usually pick several lay it out and they pick from what I have.  You will get a good laugh especially if you have a group that goes all out with props included.  I think the funniest was with Steve sleepwalking, the students showed up with their pajamas over their uniforms.  They also picked a boyscout play to do as well with a sleepwalker coming in and stealing stuff including one of the boys at the end of the play.

10 May 2009     

1    2    Next >