Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Song Compilation Stories    

Song Compilation Stories

alien boy
Japan

It �s actually from Old French & is a slur against Bulgarians. There �s a lot more to it than that - related to schisms between Eastern Orthodox & Roman Catholic churches. That �s where the definition you´re thinking of comes from, as distinct from the other colloquial meanings.

Well, time for me to bugger off. Gotta walk the dish licker!

10 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

From the Wikipedia website
was branded by the established church as particularly devoted to the practice of sodomy.[1]  Well, there you have it. It �s NOT a nice term.  It is considered vulgar slang.

10 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

It �s very common slang in the British English speaking world. I suggest you look at a few other references besides Wikipedia - it �s not always very good....

10 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

AB, I know what it means. I lived in the UK for 6 years.

10 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Then we both better bugger off before we bugger up any more. Bugger it!

10 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Merriam Webster:
Middle English bougre heretic, from Anglo-French bugre, from Medieval Latin Bulgarus, literally, Bulgarian; from the association of Bulgaria with the Bogomils, who were accused of sodomy
Answers.com: Vulgar Slang. A sodomite.
Wordnet.com:Meaning #1: someone who engages in anal copulation (especially a male who engages in anal copulation with another male)
Need I go on?

10 May 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

I really enjoyed the �song � taking shape here, maybe you can get back to songwriting and leave the etymology stuff behind....

Not everything needs to be taken so seriously......
Marion

10 May 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Awesome work guys - I like where the song went.Clap

The term bugger in this song is taken from a New Zealand parody song.

The term �bugger � in New Zealand is one of our most versatile words.  A judge has now ordered that it can be used on TV as it is such a low level of innocuousness.

I can give you a link to a website with a 101 ways to use the term if you would like.

Wink

10 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3