Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > comments ?    

comments ?

manonski (f)
Canada

If I understand well, what you �d like is for us to upload material made by publishers (which in your opinion is better than ours) so you can get it for free. Is that it?

10 May 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

hmmmm I really just don �t know where to start with  this one....
Firstly if you recognise a copied/stolen worksheet please report it giving the book/page and or website link. It is explicitly stated that that is not acceptable here to contribute such worksheets.

Secondly: I am an experienced teacher over 12 years now with all levels from preschool/ university/ pensioner.... and I can honestly say that the resources here far surpass any book I have ever seen. EVER from ANYWHERE in the world.

But you see I KNOW my students, I make it my business to get to know my students and I am genuinely interested in helping them to progress as well as they can. You mention sheets with errors and mistakes... have you never made a mistake before? It happens, we are human! I have probably never used a worksheet from here without some small modifications so that it suits the students I have for any one class or group. (Hence I love editable worksheets, because I can also check that everything is in British English/spellcheck etc  for where I teach!) Also I am a creative teacher and I do not teach solely to the letter of any book or worksheet.
There are a lot of very creative, enthusiastic and experienced teachers here. BUT you do not have to be experienced to be able to create something unique that your students love in your lessons. You just have to love what you do... Your passion for what you do motivates you to create your own resources... what do I do when I am not in front of a class? Looking for more resources, making  and collating things for my students.... I am teaching in my brain nearly 24/7... because it is my passion.

I would even hazard to  say that some so called reputable books are in fact riddled with grammatical errors (as have been discussed here on this forum!), so just because you are published doesn �t always make you perfect! Some professional educational writers could learn a lot from many members here. Speak for yourself when you say that "we" can �t create worksheets to the standards of Oxford or Cambridge. I think many here can, and actually surpass that level.

Lastly, if finding books and resources that are free are your issue then you need to use the google search function. You will find plenty out there.

Victor had a vision of a site where motivated, creative, enthusiastic teachers who love what they do could share their ideas and their original worksheets. That is what makes this site special and unique. That is what makes this community of awesome teachers so wonderful to be around. I know that I have learned so much and have gained different perspectives from so many talented people here.

10 May 2009     

DedicatedTeacher
United Arab Emirates

Hi,

I think it is your right to wonder why there are teachers who get together to share their own worksheet, that could be full of mistakes... It �s your right as well to get some answers and hear their reasons. But it is not your right to try and proof their actions are wrong and useless if you �re not convinced!! (This what I understand from your comments). We don �t hurt or disadvantage anyone so let us be!

I understand that those professional and experienced writers have great ideas and resources, but not everything is included in their books. There are still plenty creative ideas that are not included there. Even if this site doesn �t include so much new ideas everyday, still we have the right to keep sharing.

As you know and as I believe, students need to have different contexts and type of activties to internalize a set of vocabulary or a concept. And personally, what teachers shares here is the different contexts for my students to practice.

DT

10 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

"Speak for yourself when you say that "we" can �t create worksheets to the standards of Oxford or Cambridge."
I use both of them often and I find mistakes in their publications.  The big O and the big C are made up of humans and they make mistakes.  Oxford and Cambridge are not the end all of ESL.  Maybe people shouldn �t hold them up so high just because they are British.  I resent the idea that English is inferior if it isn �t from England.

10 May 2009     

sazzag
United Kingdom

Have you ever heard the saying "You can lead a horse to water but you can �t make it drink".  I teach mostly teenagers and I think that saying describes a lot of them.  They have English classes at school and homework, tests, exams etc and then in the evening they are "forced" by their parents to come and study in an English Academy.

We use set textbooks in my school.  Actually they are Cambridge University Press books.  I think they are quite good and the texts and exercises are intended for teenagers.  However, every time I tell my students "open your books" they sigh.  Mostly they now do it silently because they know it isn �t very polite but I see it in their faces. 

However, when I bring them games and activities of which I have loads they are only too happy to participate and make every effort to learn while enjoying themselves.  The same happens when I bring them nicely designed worksheets with fun activites or images that appeal to them.  Then they want to learn, the time flies by and they leave the class happy and energised.

Like I said I have loads of games and materials.  However in the month that I have been a member here I have found loads of amazing new ones that I am adding to my repertoire.  My students ask me where I get the things from and ask me "what have you brought us today?". 

You address the small mistakes that there sometimes are on worksheets.  I agree with Cheezels that I don �t use things without checking them 1st.  When we plan a lesson using a book we review the material so I don �t realy see the difference.

As for doubting the quality of the material here.  You really shouldn �t.  There are loads of really really experienced teachers here producing quite amazing work.  But the choice is yours of course -- you can use the regular book type material and feel "safe" in your choice or you can use the stunning, innovative creations (not creatures) that you find here once you have earned some points of course. 

I hope that you will change your mind about this site.  Not just for your sake but for your students.  In any case "Welcome"....

10 May 2009     

altan_neu
Turkey

thanks foreverybody. My aim ıs not to hurt anybody ı only want to share my idea but we should be agree that writers also takes into accounts the students needs when they create a worksheet or somethıng else for instance there are worksheets here whıch are heavily coloured is not usefull or heavy exercise doesnt mean that ıt is a good ws so a teacher may not consıder these but writers do. of course ıt ıs a fact that the worksheets generally you lıke and download , ı am sure, cant be created by a teacher whıch is very useful and  has beautiful pictures. also thanks everybody for sharing their ws. thıs ıs very nıce.

10 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2