Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help! Relative clauses!    

Help! Relative clauses!

Innovice Teacher
Sri Lanka

serene

Thank you for the effort and time you spent to write your comment, but my specific question hasn �t been answered yet.

If you read my comments above you would notice that I �ve already mentioned what you said at the level of meaning, but I �m still a bit confused. 

Please check my previous comment and my inquiry abou the the exercise i may give to students.

Thanx a lot

Waiting for your explanation

12 May 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi Innovice Teacher,

I �m sorry that I didn �t say that you were correct. I got focused on trying to find an easy lesson, and then I was so tired that I went to bed. I hope everything works out! It sounds as if you have a lot of great people helping you.

Carla

12 May 2009     

Innovice Teacher
Sri Lanka

Yes Carla they are doing their best although my specific questions are still not answered. I �m really waiting for that great teacher to help me understand what I posted above.

Thank you

12 May 2009     

serene
Greece

Look at the following situation:

"A man was looking for you some time ago. The man who was looking for you is over there."
Now look at this:
"A man called Mr Smith came in the office some time ago. The man (that is Mr Smith), who was looking for you, is over there."
In the first situation we know nothing about the man so we define him as the man "who was looking for you".
In the second, we have already defined the man (Mr Smith) so now we only add some extra information about him (who was looking for you).

12 May 2009     

serene
Greece

As for which of your students are correct, since they are just given the sentence "The man is over there" and they haven �t been told anything else about the man, I think the correct sentence is "The man who was looking for you is over there."
However, I would try to explain to my students the context in which the second sentence could be correct.

12 May 2009     

txellalalluna
Andorra

1- The book whose author is now being shown in the news has become a bestseller.

2- The book, whose author is now being shown in the news, has become a bestseller.

in sentence 1, you don �t know what book they are talking about unless they add the relative clause. (that �s why we call it defining)

in sentence 2, you already know what book it is and the clause is just some extra information. (that �s why it �s not defining)

in terms of meaning there is no difference, it is a matter of function.

12 May 2009     

Innovice Teacher
Sri Lanka

txellalalluna

Thank you for the comment but how come that there is no difference in meaning?

You yourself stated two different meanings of the two different sentences in your comments.

Am i wrong?

12 May 2009     

Ayaniw
Algeria

Hi everyone!
A relative clause can be defining or non-defining depending on what you want to say.
Not all defining relative clauses can become no-defining by adding commas, dashes or brackets.
One should pay close attention to the use of commas, dashes or brackets in relative clauses.
There �s a change in meaning in a relative clause with or without commas (It �s not just that one is defining lor non-defining)
Let �s consider the following:

�   The Importance Of Commas in Relative Clauses:

1.a. Tom�s brother, who lives in London, is an engineer.

1.b. Tom�s brother who lives in London is an engineer.

1.a. N.D.R.C.�Tom has only one brother.

1.b. D.R.C�Tom has more than one brother.

2.a. The boys, who wanted to play football, were disappointed.

2.b. The boys who wanted to play football were disappointed.

2.a. N.D.R.C.�All the boys wanted to play football and all were disappointed.

2.b. D.R.C.�Only some of the boys who wanted to play were disappointed; There were others who didn�t mind whether it rained or not.

3.a. The wine, which was in the cellar, was all ruined.

3.b. The wine which was in the cellar was all ruined.

3.a. N.D.R.C.�All the wine was in the cellar and all ruined.

3.b. D.R.C.�Only some of the wine was ruined. Some was kept elsewhere and escaped damage.

My best regards

Al

12 May 2009     

Innovice Teacher
Sri Lanka

ayzman2 / AL H. BB

That �s really helpful. You have clarified most of it through simple nice sentences. Thank you a lot for your time and effort.

Now the last question.

Imagine I give my students an exercise on relative clauses, telling them to join two simple sentences in one complex sentence by means of a relative pronoun. (In the instruction, there is no indication that they should make a D.RC or a N.D.R.C) 

Let �s consider your first example. The two simple sentences may be as follows:

Tom �s brother is an engineer. He lives in London.

Then some students would come up with a complex sentence like 1.a:

Tom �s brother, who lives in London, is an engineer.

Claiming that they chose to do so because they understood that Tom has only one brother.

While other students may come up with a complex sentence like 1.b:

Tom �s brother who lives in London is an engineer.

Claiming that they chose to do so because they understood that Tom has more than one brother. So, in this case, should I accept both of their answers as long as they justify their choice or just one of the answers above?

The problem is that in many sentences both ways can be possible and the sentences above may be a good example, since the two original simple sentences don �t tell us whether Tom has only one brother or more than one.

So what do you think?

13 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2