Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Comments on reported printables    

Comments on reported printables

sea camel
Belgium

Last discussion I was a bit late to react. I don �t know whether the following would be a good idea... ( I even don �t know whether something like this would be possible to construct in the report section.)

What about making a multiple choice report section... E.g.

O   Scanned from ( and then people have to give a site or the name of a book)
O   Not an ESL resource
O   Copied from ( again a name, place, ...)
... (other ideas)

That way we avoid such rude comments. People can still use the comment section to try and do this. They won�t get far, I suppose. The comment section is, I think, a less interesting place to hurt people (It shows your avatar and people can respond.). Now when using the report section a comment could be more effective ( hurtful, rude, ... ) but by doing it in the way above you avoid rude language when reporting. It�s all I can come up with, I�m afraid. But I definitely disapprove of some comments made. They are so painful...

I also agree with Mena. I think moderators should identify themselves.

Kristien 

12 May 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Remember - don �t shoot the moderators - they generally tone down other peoples comments.

Anyone can report a worksheet - the first comment is from a member of the community - not necessarily a moderator.

Most moderators leave positive constructive comments.  I agree with sea camel - possibly a multiple choice option should be made available - rather than comments - as most of these rude comments are from the reporter.

12 May 2009     

Lulu La la
Thailand

Geeze Louise, what a drama!   I have been a member of this site for while now, I find it extremely useful, extremely!  and hardly ever participate in these chats.

However, I have to admit, I have come across many worksheets with heaps of mistakes, grammar, spelling you name it, which I think is pretty bad considering we are supposed to be English teachers. 

Is it really worth even comenting on??  Contructive critizism, sure, bring it on,we are not perfect and Goodness knows, my spelling is terrible.  But think about the time you spend replying back to a comment, or thinking about what to write, please people, lets talk about real problems, like the starving people in Africa, the amount of benefit fraud in the UK, the amount of domestic violence in Cambodia, should I continue?

My suggestion is, if you don�t like it, don�t look at it, download it, or even give it the time of day to waste your words on it.  Look for something better and thats that.  Move on, it�s all good.

Lulu Lala over and out..............................

12 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hi everyone,

I �d like to throw in my two cents.

ANYONE can leave a comment on a worksheet. They just have to use the "Report" box that Victor gave us at the bottom of the page. So, please don �t think that it �s us Moderators leaving nasty comments all the time. It could perfectly be another member... (as demonstrated by AB when he left a comment through the box on some activities...)

And I do agree that we should sign our names - or at least have them appear beside our name when we report things or comment on them. It �s only fair and it would cut down on the nasty comments since "Anonymity makes brave men (or women) out of cowards... " 

Regards

Linda

12 May 2009     

douglas
United States

"I �m just sitting here watching the wheels go �round and �round. 
 I really love to watch them roll..."  
 (John Lennnon)

12 May 2009     

Aimee/S.
Israel

Hi!
I �ve noticed that "moderators" (this word makes me smile...) are usually fair. However, the best will be to vote without adding a comment, or choose out of a "multiple choice", like "Sea-Camel" has just suggested.
It is true that from time to time some moderators go overboard; I �m not mad about this task, I rarely vote... I only do so when people steal; sometimes I "defend" ws which have been written by respectable/honest members...

To the moderators among us: let �s be polite and restrained, we don �t want to be "dementors"... Wink

12 May 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

I agree with Sea camel�s idea of the multiple choice report. It would be fair and simple.

As to Linlin�s comment, it has been mentioned by many members that the unpleasant comments could have been written by anyone in the community, not necessarily a moderator. So, all members should be polite and restrained, not just the moderators. Besides, as someone once pointed out, we are all part of this fantastic site - one team and not two (moderators X non-moderators).

12 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

To Borna: I did get troubles with a couple of members because I had reported their printables. I will still keep signing my name because I refuse to be cornered into anonymity.

Again, I do respect the choice of not writing your name but doing it AND being rude is not acceptable to me. Calling someone lazy is not respectful. There are ways to give your opinions.

Lastly, if someone decides to retaliate and report my printables, so be it. I know my worth and the worth of my work.

With that, wishing you all a very good day. Sun is shining here. Haven �t seen it in a while.

12 May 2009     

ssrl10
Spain

I think that some moderators are very rude. There are moderators who even report worksheets without any proof because they know that even if the worksheet is not removed others will start downloading that person�s worksheets just because they said so. Others simple can�t stand the fact that a worksheet is downloaded in a hurry by other members without leaving a comment and keep telling that it is your fault and that you must be cheating. I really can�t believe that we are teachers because of what happens here everyday.

Fortunatelly, there are many kind people here, so the best of this site outnumbers the worst.

12 May 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

I  only have  a little time to read the posts so I have just read a few. Sorry if my comment doesn �t take into account something already said here.

First, "the moderator has to write his/her name next to the comment" How can you prove that that signature really belongs to the person who wrote the comment?

Second, I agree that some members are sometimes  impolite but regarding those comments such as  "teachers shouldn �t be so rude and impolite" don´t forget that, althought it is a requisite, there �s no guarantee that all those who register here and participate on the forum are true teachers. I guess that some of them are here just to have fun and read our reactions on the forum to their mischievous acts or pranks.

Another point:(just a reflection) If they know that their printables can be reported or removed because they are against the regulation, I really don �t understand why these people don �t fix their wss or remove their contributions before it is late!

12 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2