Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > HelP:) ESL wheel chair client what can I do    

HelP:) ESL wheel chair client what can I do

annabelle1654
Germany

HelP:) ESL wheel chair client what can I do

Hi all,

I have a very motivated private student. She uses a wheel-chair and her breathing is  labored after several minutes of reading.  She would like to read "Miss America by Day", a book about incest. She is a therapist. My concern is how to structure her reading time? I don �t want to give her too much to read and also what kind of exercises go well with reading.  Any Ideas:)
Thanks in advance, Belles

12 May 2009      

alien boy
Japan

Hi Belles,

one of the first things I would do is discuss her physical capabilities with her. It �s no use making a plan that is dependent upon the physial capacity of a motivated adult student if they cannot provide you with their first hand knowledge.

How long is the lesson you have with her? How much free time does she have for doing additional reading & review between lessons?

As a therapist she �ll already have a lot of knowledge that canbe called upon when reviewing & interpreting the reading material... so try to incorporate that with her lesson.

Just a few ideas to start with.

Regards,
AB

12 May 2009     

Apodo
Australia

It may be possible to get this book as a sound recording, if that is suitable for your student. Libraries can often supply these. I do know of one teacher who has read entire books for her private students.

You could look at the vocabulary & word meanings, colloquialisms, sentence structure, verb tenses, all parts of speech, punctuation etc. Introduce any language your student needs to discuss the issues dealt with in this book.
Exercises could include comprehension questions, using new words in sentences, opinion writing, discussion of characters and their actions. It depends on the level of your student.

12 May 2009     

allakoalla
Latvia

Have you considered an audio book? She will have to follow the text with her eyes and will hear the words pronounced thus she will not have to make an effort to read herself.

12 May 2009     

annabelle1654
Germany

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I will definitely use every golden nugget of advice. I will talk with her and see what she feels is the best way to structure our hour and a half class together.  I looked for the book on audio, but it doesn �t seem to be available. :( I look forward to the challenge and hopefully I will be able to be a resource for someone else thanks to your guidance. -Belles

12 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Belles,

do let us know how it goes & what process you adopt. It sounds like a very interesting learning situation for both of you.

Good luck.

12 May 2009     

Portugal

save it as a pdf. She can hear it.
Have you tried?
I wish I could be more helpful.
Idalina Jorge

12 May 2009     

Dalya
Kuwait

But guys,

Don �t you think that treating her differently will discourage her ??

I think instead we should shorten the periods of which she reads at ..

what do you think ???

she �s highly motivated as i can understand .. !?

14 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

As she �s not in a classroom situation (so no peer pressure involved)and she �s an adult who is also a therapist (implies an understanding of her own experiences & motivations), I doubt that it will impact her enthusiasm negatively if she is asked to participate in preparing an appropriate schedule.

I wonder if she might feel more ill at ease if she wasn �t involved in �taking ownership � in her own study.

Just a few thoughts, anyway.

14 May 2009