Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A doubt    

A doubt

JMDe
Argentina

A doubt

I have a doubt with "opposite" and "in front of" as used for locations in a city. As far as I know you can use "opposite" when you want to express that two buildings are separated by a road, whereas "in front of" indicates that there is no separation between buildings or objects. building A may be in front of building B with no separation and thus building B is behind building A.  My real doubt is �can we use  "in front of" as a synonym of "opposite" in this sense? I �ve read a lot of grammar books and it seems that you can �t, but may be in different English speaking countries this may vary. What do you think?

Thanks.
JMDe

13 May 2009      

LuciaRaposo
Portugal

I believe you �re right...

13 May 2009     

zdeena
Denmark

Opposite is usually when 2 things are facing each other - so if the buildings for example have the front doors facing each other they are opposite each other. In front of would mean that the front door of the 2 buildings faces the same way, and so do not face each other.
Does this make any sense?? Wacko

13 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

To me, as a native, I would use both the same way... the only real difference to me is opposite always implies some distance between the two objects, buildings, or places...like a road, a small pathway, a square... whereas in front of is always closer, there doesn �t need to be any space...

I hope that helps. Smile   

13 May 2009     

JMDe
Argentina

Thanks a lot Lucia, zdeena and Zora for your replies! This is a wonderful site!!

Zora would you then teach "in front of" as a direct synonym of "opposite" using a map with children?

Thanks a lot!

JMDe

13 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

Yes, I most likely would (and do actually Wink)  keeping in mind that there needs to be distance between the objects.

Example. A bus stop is in front of a store but not opposite unless it �s on the other side of the street.

But saying - the bakery is in front of the post office OR opposite the post office - is the exact same thing to me.

Smile

13 May 2009     

JMDe
Argentina

Thanks a lot Zora! No more doubts!

I don �t usually write, but I do read the posts quite often and I notice you �re always there to help! Thanks a million!

JMDe

13 May 2009