Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > This is an article that should be passed on to anyone important in your life!    

This is an article that should be passed on to anyone important in your life!

eng789
Israel

This is an article that should be passed on to anyone important in your life!

I appologize - if this sounds like advertising, but I just uploaded an important article for everyone to read.   

All those who are new to the site and don �t have any points yet,  but would like to download it,  can send me a PM with their e-mail and I will be happy to pass it on.   (Parent /teacher´s meetings today, so be patient)

Using the information in the article might save someone �s life.

19 May 2009      

JulietaVL
Mexico

Hi Barbara, I juste read the article and it is very interesting, thank you for letting us know about this, I had no idea and I always drink water from bottles that have been in my car for a long time... I won �t do it again Confused

Nice shweet!! Thanks...

19 May 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Sorry Barbara you posted an 2004 prank.  This article never came from John Hopkins, it is a myth just like microwaving in plastic will cause the same cancer. 

Here is the statement from Snopes.com

Don �t Drink Bottled Water Left in Car - Urban Legends 
Bottled water cancer danger? Forwarded email warns women not to drink bottled ... Do plastic water bottles pose cancer threat? By David Emery, About.com ...

I misplaced the actual copy of John Hopkins reply to this since their name was attached to it.  Basically stated that there were far more dangers from the water itself then ever a chance from a suppose leakage from the bottle especially since many bottle water manufactors have started adding recycled water.

19 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

Sorry Roney, but this report also says that there is a slight possibility but the research has been inconclusive.

I think that it �s a very good possibility (cigarettes weren �t supposed to be bad for you either, nor were other things in the past)... and the whole - if it were true it �d be everywhere bit doesn �t convince me one bit. Mobile phones are known to cause cancer and there towers are dangerous and guess what? Very few people know this or even care... the press are not making a bit hype about it, why? Because it moves millions of dollars, more than tobacco...

So, I would take into consideration Eng worksheet since I also got a similar email years ago and use only glass in my microwave now... just in case... we are exposed to enough toxins, who needs to deliberately add more even if it �s only a small amount that is "inconclusive" to whether it causes cancer or not...

19 May 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Sorry Zora the reason they said the study in inconclusive is because John Hopkins isn �t the one doing the study that is why he said it in inconclusive.   The inconclusive also includes a lot of things including that glass.  If I went by every warning I wouldn �t eat, drink, sleep, stay awake, stay in the sun, stay out of the sun.  There were warnings about smoking years before the tobacco company even admitted to it, it was in studies released back in the 50 �s.  But they later found it wasn �t the actual tobacco but what is put into it, the water why it is more dangerous than the bottle is because so much pharmaciticals get dumped into our waterways it finds it �s way into almost every drinking table that is used.  The same group by the way that initially released the plasic bottle warning also warned about glass in microwaves, and microwaves themselves.  As when Mrs Reeves, Christopher Reeves (superman) died they had finally released that only 42% of lung cancer deaths were actually smoking or semi-smoking related and still were uncertain what all caused that type of cancer, but we do know what creates Type 2 Diabetes; too much sugar in the diet.  Do we see a ban on fast food, corn syrup which is now placed in most foods including meat as a preservative.

19 May 2009     

eng789
Israel

I passed the message on to my 2 daughters,  all of my friends and even posted it at school.  If there is the slightest chance it may be true then it is important for people to know.

Better safe than sorry!!!!!!!

19 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

And how about milk or milk sugars also being used in meats? It´s totally disgusting actually and I totally agree with you and you have got to admit that sometimes some studies are inconclusive because that �s the way they want them to appear... there are industries that would have a cow if you said they had to stop adding "milk, corn syrup, lecithin" to products...and so it is with other products.  

Anyways back to plastics... it is more unlikely that glass products will cause you harm, simply because a lot of glass that is non-microwavable will actually crack or break whereas plastic may not melt if it isn �t microwavable and it may let off toxins without the person knowing... I know it might be a bit paranoid, but it �s sort of the way I feel about this.

Also, anything that is made from clay, I tend to shy away from since a lot of places still use lead based lacquer or dyes in them...

19 May 2009