Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Teaching grammatical terms    

Teaching grammatical terms

Brentboy
Japan

Teaching grammatical terms

Hi everyone,
I have been asked to teach grammar words aka verbs, adjectives etc eg this is a verb, this is and adjective..... any ideas for materials/ games? Im at a bit of a loss to find something fun.....

20 May 2009      

alex1968
Greece

1)You could create some dominoes....

having words/picture on one side and the gammar words on the other side.

quickly /  noun

people/ adjective

happy/ verb

sing / adverb

etc. (sorry, couldn �t draw rectangles around them!)

2)You could have different cards with word & grammar words on them and get students to walk around the class finding their partner.

3)(a) Write a very long sentence on the board with all the grammar words you want included
(b) Ss have cards with grammar words and must stick the card below the correct word.
(c)  Then Ss invent their own sentences, write them on the board & their classmates then use the cards with grammar words and must stick the card below the correct word

I �m not sure what level you have to teach, but these games can be adapted to all levels.

Regards from sunny (& hot) Thessaloniki
Alex

20 May 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

I like Alex �s dominoes idea!

I would definitely use some kind of colour-coding and encourage the students to copy into their books with different colours too.  This will also help when they have to think about question structure as they �ll be able to see the order really clearly.

T :)

20 May 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi,

Try       http://www.eslflow.com/grammarlessonplans.html. I have many worksheets, but I would need an email address to get them to you as an attachment. Do you know how to link them to this forum?

Carla

20 May 2009     

Roem
Chile

GAME GAME GAME

Hello, First you have to teach to the student some grammar words nouns, verbs, adjectives and then explain how they can use this words in a sentence, when you write some senteces on the board it is time to use them for a game:

Materials:

Whistle
Color cards

First give color to each part of grammar in the sentence for example  pronouns (blue) , adjective (red), noun (green), verb (yellow)

He run faster

Make for each student a different card that they can take and carry on, each card must have the specific word and a specific colour. The game consist in form they own sentences by themselves, go out of the classroom and start the game, they have to form with themselves the sentences taking the correct position, if some students are missing you can use them to create examples of sentence and what they can add to create a correct sentence, example: the students get together if someone is missing you have to ask him or her what word is missing?  mmm... a verb and and adjective ask to the student what adjectives, verb, noun  they can add to the sentence or a pronoun or an adverb.
When they form the sentence you must ask how the sentence is, because some verbs must be use in the corrent form. You must be careful if you are teaching for example present or past, to create the proper cards.

Any question post reply, Bye.

20 May 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Have a look here.

20 May 2009     

kmtr
United States

I have had my students have a noun race (or verb, or adj.) I hang a big piece of paper on the board/wall (one for each group of about 5). They each stand in a straight line in front of the paper. One at a time, they go up to the paper and write a noun, then go to the back of the line and the next person goes. Only one person may write on the paper at a time, and everyone has to write something. You time them for 1 minute (or 2, or however long you think they can remain engaged.) Then you count how many nouns they have on the paper and see who the winner is. You can review this list to make sure they have written nouns. (Nouns is pretty easy, but with adj �s or adverbs, sometimes they will write words that are not correct part of speech.) Also, with nouns, I then have the group take their paper and then sort their nouns into People/Place/Thing/Idea.

20 May 2009     

kmtr
United States

Oh- I have done the parts of speech-race with 3rd grade through high school. Even the big kids like getting up and being competitive!

20 May 2009