Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > flashcards used in worksheets    

flashcards used in worksheets

lara puella
Russian Federation

flashcards used in worksheets

Good afternooneverybody)))) I have a question.� Somebody reported on my worksheet as stolen. The point is that in my work I used one big flashcard from an esl book (it was a car) and in the worksheet I made a reference to that book and mentioned it. But the ex-s are mine. Can this picture be treated as cheating?

22 May 2009      

Vickiii
New Zealand

Copyright law is really clear.

On the one hand you can use images and ideas from other people for teaching and personal use.

On the other hand - you can not use images (etc) for an activity that directly competes with the original intent of the product.

In this case - you have taken an esl resource - and used it to make an esl resource.  Therefore it is in direct conflict with copyright law.

If you took a picture of a car off the internet from a non-esl website - it would be fine to use as you are not competing with the original intent of the product. 

Clear as mud?

22 May 2009     

lara puella
Russian Federation

I see your point but I belive it is not logical. Teachers are not painters, we can �t create our own pictures. So I can take any photo of any car, use it in my worksheet but not from an esl resource. But I took the picture from the book made specially for teachers to use and to make photocopies of them. There are only pictures, no ex-s. And if I want to share with my colleges such greatflashcards, why can �t I? I �ve mentioned the book twice in my worksheet and if the worksheet has the proper reference , this is not the conflict with the copyright lwa. Besides, I �ve downloaded from this site a bunch of worksheets with a huge amount of references to esl resources. ???????

22 May 2009     

mjotab
Spain

I think Lara is right but I am not a lawyer. And lots of the teachers here use pictures from books.
I thought that if you mentioned the source and added your own exercises it was ok
Confused

22 May 2009     

lara puella
Russian Federation

I �m sorry that I �m writing so much but I feel treated unfair. To be on the safe side , I �ve consulted with the lawyer today after work. According to him, in case a teacher or any user mentioned in his work the reference to the book or also any resource, this is NOT THE Breaking of COPYRIGHT lAW. So, are you really an expert in copyright laws and are you sure you know the laws and rules of this matter???????????????

22 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Lara, where I work, I can tell you that I �m not even allowed to make photocopies of textbooks or activity books for my students. Every year, we receive a memo about that. The only ones we can photocopy, and it �s only 10%, of them are books that are part of a certain publisher �s association. Most pedagogical books in my field are not part of that.

Since I am not a painter, like you mentionned yourself, I pay two websites to have the rights to use their pictures. I am allowed to modify, recolour the pictures and use them on my website (if I had one) or material for my class. The only thing I �m not allowed to do is to make a cd of cliparts and resell them. That ensures me that I �m respecting the law. It �s a small price to pay to respect other �s people work.

22 May 2009     

lara puella
Russian Federation

Oh, In our university we are allowed to make photocopies. But the point is not in that. What should we do then with a huge number of worksheets that I personally downloaded in which not only pictures but texts and ex-s are taken from esl resources and there are just simple references mentioned in their works? I just simply followed the example showed on the site. A month ago I reported on one worksheet in which about 70 % of the whole info was taken from an esl resource. The user ,who is for a long time on this site, explained to me that it � was not forbidden to use a bit of esl material with the reference to the main resorce. Did you ask youself where other users take and use there pictures in their worksheets? Do you really think they all pay for flashcards on other sites? There are so many awsome printables with detailed great flashcards and I don �t think that they take them on any sites which are not connected with teaching. So I still disagree with Vikiii and you.

22 May 2009     

lara puella
Russian Federation

Besides, you write as if I scanned the whole lesson that I had made. This picture of a car was only one exersice, the rest of the ex-s I did myself and they can be used separately from the picture.

22 May 2009     

zdeena
Denmark

Hi Lara,
It seems that some people have nothing better to do than report other people �s work. I had a ws with pictures of food which was removed because someone reported it, saying "pictures of food from the internet is not an esl worksheet". This might be correct, but I had spent a lot of time finding the pictures, resizing them to make them all more or less the same size, and I have used it in MANY classes, my students find it very helpful. It can be used for many things - vocabulary, restaurant roleplays, etc - and it had quite a few downloads.
Obviously some people expect us to do everything 100% ourselves, draw and paint even though we are teachers, not artists (some might be both but I �m not!). Just don �t worry about it, be happy that you are not the kind of person who wastes time making life miserable for others! Enjoy the wonderful worksheets you create and think about the sad life other people must lead when they can �t think of anything better to do than report your ws!

22 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Zdeena
First, anyone can report a worksheet. You included.
Secondly, if the reporting is unfair, the moderators will vote to keep the printables. I got proof of that last week when one of my own work was reported.

This site is FREE! You don �t have to pay to access all the material here. All you have to do is contribute your own contribution, based on some rules given by the owner of this site.

22 May 2009     

lhmoniz
Portugal

I think this is very ugly. Of course everyone who uses this site uses or adapts tests, worksheets or whatever . I agree with Lara , we aren �t artists. At least I �m not, for sure. If people don �t like their cliparts to be " copied " you shoudln �t put your worksheets here.
If I agreed to upload my work here is because I want to share it with this group of hardworking people. I can �t see that as a problem.
Besides, I even send mails to some teachers asking for the cliparts. What �s the problem?
" To those who have no sin may throw the first stone "

22 May 2009