Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > series and programme.???????    

series and programme.???????

miss noor
Palestine

series and programme.???????

Hi,
I need ur help please
I want to know the difference between series and programme.

Is series a part of the programme ???????????

i.e. Does a programme consist of many series ?????????/

Thanks in advance

22 May 2009      

verybouncyperson
Spain

Hello Miss Noor,

A programme is a word to describe something which is on TV or on the radio.

A series is a set of episodes.

For example...  My favourite TV programme is Friends.  Friends is a series about six people who live in New York.  In each season, there are normally 24 episodes.

Hope that helps...
T :)

22 May 2009     

douglas
United States

This is an interesting one.  You "can" use the terms interchangeably but they tend to mean two slightly different things.  A series usually refers to a sitcom or drama type show, a program usually refers to "news" type shows, talk shows, etc. (shows whose content changes based on current events, stars, etc.).

Dr House, Bones, and Two and Half Men are all series, but can be called programs.

The Nightly News, 60 Minutes, and Oprah are programs and cannot be called series.

That �s my take on it, anyone else?

22 May 2009     

sedefg�l
Turkey

Hi!
In a series, people play roles and there is an ongoing story which is related to eachother. In a program there may not be an unreal situation but a recent event, a show, a guiz, news, magazine, etc.

22 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I would say a program is ANYTHING that airs on the TV.  A series is a group of episodes of a program that has a plot or ongoing story although there are exceptions.  It usually lasts for a "season" (generally only one year/part of a year) which is a period of time that the TV stations have paid to air it.  For instance, �24 � just finished it �s 7th season Cry(which I think was the best yet). How much longer can Jack Bauer go? lol  While working for ABC, I saw both programs and series.   

22 May 2009