Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Just in case people missed it... a great discussion thread about flash cards & what constittues a ´set ´...    

Just in case people missed it... a great discussion thread about flash cards & what constittues a ´set ´...

alien boy
Japan

Just in case people missed it... a great discussion thread about flash cards & what constittues a ´set ´...

Hi everyone,

just thought I �d re-post this discussion about what constitutes a �set � of flashcards, as there seems to be a little discussion recently about them...

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=8535

Thanks for your clear & comprehensive request Silke!

Cheers,
AB

23 May 2009      

mena22
Portugal

Thanks a lot AB for showing us that link. However, I must confess that now I �m even more confused than before, so much so that I won �t dare voting for the removal or not of flashcards. Can you please enlighten me?

As Silke has said, the rule when we upload a worksheet is  this,

Single flashcards are not allowed, but you can send a SET of flashcards (at least 4).

She asks victor 2 questions: 
  -  one related to the flashcards upload date, which I agree with her 100%, because we cannot penalize members for a rule that did not exist before;
  -  and another one about the number of cards - 4 - in a single upload, because it isn �t always possible due to the high quality of the images, whicch, of course, would be lost when resized.

Victor did not answer the first question directly, but he ended up doing so when he answered question no. 2,

When I say that flashcards sets are allowed I don �t mean that all the flashcards should be in the same document. I know that the size limit is very low.
If you upload some related flashcards in various documents, it is fine. It would good to make it clear in the title ("food flashcard 1", "food flashcard 2", " food flashcard 3"...)

Shall we conclude that  a set of at least 4 flahscards, each of them uploaded separately, is allowed,  i. e. 4 flashcards = 4 uploads? It �s the only conclusion I can take  and that �s why the date doesn �t really matter, because now or then 1 card = 1 upload was/is according to the rules.

I �m indeed more confused than ever. Doesn �t the new rule sound exactly the same as the old rule? The only thing that seems to be really new is the fact that a set of flashcards must be made up of at least 4 cards, independently of being uploaded together or separately.

I do feel terrible as a moderator and I believe most moderators like me, who vote according to the rules and not according to their personal views, must be feeling the same. If we think of what we have been seeing lately in the reported contributions regarding flashcards, it is obvious that most voters made the following reading of the rule: a set of cards = at least 4 in the same upload. So why let so many flashcards be removed?

I would really aprreciate if someone could clarify this issue for me.
Have a nice day,
mena

23 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I�ve always read Victor�s outlines as meaning that a single flashcard in an upload must be part of a group of related uploads, thereby forming a set. In the guidelines NOW provided, this means that you could have 4 flashcards forming a set in four separate uploads. This means that each upload should have noted that it is part of a set - e.g. Flashcard �x� in the �whatever set this is�. As there are a limited number of uploads available to a member on a daily basis this means that a set can potentially take at least 2 days to be completely uploaded.

As far as applying it to older uploads go, I am firmly of the opinion that the rules should apply to all the uploads in the site. Just because something is reported doesn�t mean it will be voted off. If it is removed then it also doesn�t mean an item cannot be updated/improved & then re uploaded. Essentially, members shouldn�t necessarily be taking things as a personal attack when items are reported or removed - it should be considered as a form of �moderation� not of the quality or value of the work, but rather the technical or legalistic interpretation of the site rules as they apply.

If a flashcard (or group/set) or any other item is removed why not think about �why? �, update your work & then resubmit it? Surely that will improve the quality & standards of your own work & the site as a whole.

By the way, yes, I have had a worksheet removed. I haven �t complained or grumbled about it. The voters decided it didn�t meet the required standards, so I will submit the updated version when it�s closer to the holiday season for it. That way it will be readily available for more members as a free upload!

Cheers,
AB

23 May 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Thank you so much AB for enlightening me!

I wish that most moderators, me included, had interpreted the flashcard rule as you did. But the fact is that we have not and lots of cards have been removed in the past few weeks on the grounds that 1 upload meant, at least, 4 flashcards. My question was and is how could that have happened? Many users have brought the issue into the forum and I �m one of them - http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=8563  - so I will abstain from voting on flashcards until I am 100% sure about the rule.

As for the older flashcards, AB, the problem is that I was not referring to single flashcards in the sense that they did not belong to a set that was uploaded separately. I was talking about flashcards that have been reported and removed, because they were all (or 2 or 3 of them, always less than 4) in different uploads in spite of belonging to a set of at least 4 cards, which means that they were all unfairly removed due to our (most of the moderators who voted)   wrong interpretation of the rule. I still feel very bad about all this and I believe situations like this must be avoided in the future.

Once again AB, thanks a lot for trying to clarify my doubts.
Have a nice weekend!

(P.S. By the way, how does it feel being 42?! I �m only 7 years ahead of you now... LOL)

23 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I feel abstaining from voting would be a very negative thing. If you �re unsure it would be better to vote �keep it! � - this will allow some time for moderators to review their own views on the flashcard issue as well as reading the discussion posts Victor has made. I know I�ve stated my belief on several occasions...

& to quote Victor once more (my highlights)

As I said before, A single flashcard would not be acceptable, but a set of flashcards (in a single document or a series of documents) would be OK.  We all understand that flashcards are esl resources. Don �t we?

As far as already removed flashcards go, the milk has already been spilt, so don �t cry, please! Hopefully many of the members will have the attitude I hope every one does... & that I mentioned in my earlier post... I �ll quote myself (terrible, I know...)

If a flashcard (or group/set) or any other item is removed why not think about �why? �, update your work & then resubmit it? Surely that will improve the quality & standards of your own work & the site as a whole.

Mena, 42 is great! I just hope I never catch up to you... LOL

23 May 2009     

mena22
Portugal

You won �t... don �t be afraid....  lololol...

I agree with all you �ve  said but I still think the solution is not to vote to keep it to give moderators time to think, I think the solution to this problem is to rewrite the rule so that it becomes clear to all of us.

Once again thanks for your help.
Hugs,
mena

23 May 2009