Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > factory vs. plant    

factory vs. plant

Kalina Perm
Russian Federation

factory vs. plant

Hello guys! I �m a bit confused about two words, but hope that �s a piece of cake for you�Smile Is there any definite difference between factory and plant? What should I use speaking about the place where engines/cars are produced, and what is better for the place where candies are made?

Thanks in advance!

Anna

28 May 2009      

douglas
United States

One definition I found that sounded pretty good:

Plant - the assets of a business including land, buildings, machinery and all equipment permanently employed.

Factory - building in which products are manufactured; any location which mass-produces one type of product (can be used figuratively)

Note: electric plants or power plants are not factories ( I guess they don �t really produce a "real" product (make something out of other things).

Cars, engines and candies can all be produced in a factory--I know too that car companies often refer to their "plant in ..."

I guess you kind of have to go on a case by case basis as to whether something is a plant but not a factory.

28 May 2009     

Kalina Perm
Russian Federation

I see. Thanks a lot!

28 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

I was reading Douglas � post and I agree with him, I �d like to point out that "plants" are used  mainly with primary products and factories in their transformation into material goods.

i.e. A Chemical plant, a Gas plant... brute materials...

i.e. A shoe factory, a car factory, a cosmetic factory.. ... end of line goods...

28 May 2009     

Kalina Perm
Russian Federation

Comprehensive remark, Zora :) Good luck!

28 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

They are generally interchangeable.  There are car plants and car factories.

28 May 2009     

douglas
United States

But there are NOT electric factories, power factories, chemical factoriesa, etc..

So it is not the best advise to say they are "generally interchangeable"

--sorry spagman, I just don �t agree

28 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Douglas, I �m generally with you on that. I have heard of �a manufacturing plant � before... but it always struck me as a little odd...

30 May 2009     

[email protected]
United States

Douglas -

They are interchangeable.  I see chemical factories all the time, my husband was a scientist in one.  In AmE they are the same thing and interchangeable.  We just go with the flow here...of which sounds and flows better.  We have a car plant in our city.  But we also call it a factory.  Candy (Sweets) can be made in a plant or factory.  Nestle chocolates has a plant locally where they make candy.  We also have a chocolate factory too.  Again, they are interchangeable.  Both envelop a place where there is a final mass product, whether it goes further or not it makes no difference.  Labor organizations prefer "plant" over "factories" because it just has a better connotation.  If you really want to get technical a plant is a factory with its equipment and which of either don �t have both?

Just my little 2 cents.

5 Jun 2009