Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > so, but SO frustrated!!!    

so, but SO frustrated!!!

Ivona
Serbia

I just saw your post there about being time-pressured. My classes, too, are of the same length and the same number of students and i know how you feel.
I �ve heard my colleagues often complain of having too little time to cover the material planned in the syllabus and that they were, in a way, forced to go through things quickly in order to manage just in time. In order to �make it �, their classes are usually teacher-centred, i.e. the teacher does all the explaining, all the �chewing � so that the students can just �swallow �. What i do is let the students �chew �, i.e. explore, find out, learn themselves. I plan my classes in a way that will allow each student maximum time of involvement during the 45 min class.
I follow Ben Frenklin �s quote:

Tell me, i forget.
Show me, i remember.
Involve me, and i learn.

What i notice with many teachers is that they insist on the ss knowing the rules and they dwell too much on them (i �m talking about my colleagues). I �ve been a teacher for 8 years now and i did the rule-drilling only in the first year but then gave up on it because i saw that it did not work, only with a small number of students. They knew the rules, yet could not speak the language.
The reason why exercises do not provide good enough practise is because they �re taken out of the context. Ask any of your students to tell you what the sentences are about, and more than half of them won �t even know their meaning.

Here �s a link to a vid that i made when i was presenting the past simple to my 5th graders for the FIRST time. It was also my first time to use a PP presentation. What you will see is part 2 of the 45min class when i showed them the changes that occured in the sentences. Not ONCE did i mention to them we were doing a new tense, or any of the rules. It was all �magic � to them.
http://www.mediafire.com/?njwkz1lq2cg

29 May 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Oi, Cristininha
So sorry for you   .... and for    meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee .
Now we are two, we make a team. That �s it. I read all the posts before and every one and each one of them tell us what all of us know. They don �t learn a foreign language in suitable conditions, just a few hours/minutes, now and then.... I think that nikadixon gave you the best answer: if you speak, let us say, Russian, Chinese or some very strange language  AS WELL AS THEY CAN SPEAK ENGLISH........ wow , you would say:
I can manage a little with Chinese

Cheers, God is on our side and school year is running to itsCensored end.
So, are you their mother? Keep cool, life is around, you deserve it and so do the "poor little evil angels Hug

MUITOS BEIJINHOS
Teachers are the best thing in the world, after children

29 May 2009     

Jayho
Australia

My young adult international students simply adore grammar worksheets - even the most boring worksheet will make their day!  BUT, they also can not apply it.  They are used to doing worksheets from their own experience at school - they think a worksheet is �real � work.  How sad ...

I try to do games, games that I find here and on the web, games that reinforce the theory that they already know but don �t apply.  I also use songs.  And I use peer correction.

It �s an ongoing challenge for us ...

29 May 2009     

floris79
Chile

Ivona
This file seems locked with a password. Please post the password becaus i would love to see ure class

29 May 2009     

agusjavier
Argentina

I try not to ask them not so many written works... instead first we speak, and then maybe some written work...
in my case, and i think that in the majority of argentinian schools, at least state and private ones, our main goal is that the sts comunicate... then once they learn how to do this, we start working on the grammar..

29 May 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Sawwwyyyy ... it �s available now without the password.

29 May 2009     

frenchfrog
France

Some of my students have been learning English for 8 years. A couple of weeks ago, as we were playing the Mystery Person Game, I heard one ask: "How old does he be?" Cry

I struggled not to commit suicide in front of my students...

Have a nice day!

Frenchfrog

29 May 2009     

Isabelucha
Portugal

eheheh! Well, that �s what we are always struggling about, isn �t it? Don �t worry, I �m that with a teacher like you (worried and surely competent!) they enjoy learning english - and this is the basis of it all! Isn �t it? Some days ago I was feeling just the same way and Ivona and some other ESL friends just gave me some fantastic tools to work on and go around the subject! That �s it! Just like Nikadixon said: It �s been a lovely day, enjoy it! Big smile I �m sure you �ll find out that they like english and after all they are understandable.

29 May 2009     

Isabelucha
Portugal

"How old does he be?..." - this is even funny!!! Come on! Where �s your sense of humour? (just kiddin �)

29 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2