Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > As a teacher...Is it possible to be ´friends ´ with students at school?    

As a teacher...Is it possible to be ´friends ´ with students at school?

HARIM
Morocco

Queenjade,"Besides the good teacher you are,your students need the human side of you"

"Have you ever gone to one of those students and asked her about her problems?"
I ´m sure you never dared do that because you think you are a good teacher and you needn ´t go down to them and give them a hearing.It ´s completely wrong.Please just read these advices and especially dorothea ´s and break the walls.I ´m sure your students will forget the other teachers and will love you more.
I suffer for your suffering but would like to assure you that you can gain your students ´ respect,admiration,love and sympathy if you know how.We are teachers,educators but before this and that,we need to know our students ´ personalities,strengths,weaknesses, needs and expectations to prepare the right tools to gain their hearts.
Knowing all these things after the first meeting saves our time and energy.It helps us bridge the gap and break the ice that starts with each and every new relationship.
Believe me if you go tomorrow to the same class and you see that a student is not happy and you stop the lesson ,go to her,ask her about her problem ,sympathize with her and ask her to come and see you after the lesson.Believe me ,the look of hatered in your students ´ eyes will change into love.

31 May 2009     

QueenJade
Netherlands

Dear Manonski (f), Carla, Zailda, Dorothe!...THANK YOU!

...HARIM. Thank you for your advice! I just want to say that I do care about students problems, and do ask how they are and wait for an answer! ... This is not the problem... or that I should learn that...In my opinion, it has nothing to do to feel a good teacher and not ask students for their personal problems.
 The problem was that this particular group...developed such a strong, close... ´best friends ´ relationship that as soon a I started classes with them..I was received with a strong rejection, so in a way, I didnd ´t even have the chance to show myslef.. They didn ´t even know me to react that way!.. That ´s what made me feel so bad.
It ´s been some time now, I just wanted to hear other people ´s opinion.
thanks for your answer anyway!

31 May 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

QueenJade,

Sorry if I rushed into conclusion;but with the new picture now in mind,I suggest that you devote a lesson to talk about human relationships.A good opportunity for you to know the whys of things and for them to know the good human side of you.Just let them speak their minds before you give them your message.This message has to be directed to their hearts. Tell them about the agony and the suffering you have been through.Tell them about the kind of person you are, the new things you ´ve prepared for them.Just open your heart! They ´ll be filled with remorse and will try to apologize for their evil deeds
Looking forward to your good news.See, we ´re always learning.
All the best

31 May 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

As I wasreding your post closely I paid more attention a sth you said had skipped my attention...

SHE GOES DANCING WITH THEM AND LENDS THEM MONEY??????????????

Man, o man, that has nothing to do with "being a good teacher"

Thats TOTALLY inappropriate and I dont know how the school ´s authorities (or parents) allow sth like that to happen...Im so shocked!!!

I insist, what they need is a real teacher,one who would be a correct leader, a rolemodel...not a "Party Buddy"

I feel so disgusted that a teacher doesnt respect his/her position...

Why dont you talk to her about this site?? She might learn a thing or two about responsibility, sharing and BEING a real teacher

31 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2