Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Helpless    

Helpless

wilwarin32
Argentina

Helpless

Hi, dear all... I wonder if you �ve ever felt you are so tired of going to school and having to deal with situations which are so far, far away from teaching... Last week was quite hard since a former student of mine was run over by a car and he passed away -he was only sixteen.Then a girl who has been on drugs felt like telling me her sad- so sad life story... all this made me feel quite put off. I sometimes think that being a teacher involves so many areas that we have to cover apart from teaching and people don �t realise it!
On top of that, three students came  drunk to my class today... and one of them ended throwing up while I was holding him the dustbin!!! Is that for what I spent so many years studying? To deal with such situations in the classroom? Last week I felt so sad, and now I �m so fed up... I don �t feel like going to school tomorrow... Sorry for being such a wet blanket, but I need to talk to somebody... Cry

2 Jun 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

Suddenly, I feel quite happy to be teaching elementary students. You know, the ones that don �t get breakfast before coming to school or the ones who are wearing rubber boots when it �s -25 Celcius in the January, the ones who don �t have anyone to call when they are sick because the emergency numbers don �t work or their parents see the school number on caller id and refuse to answer, the ones who don �t have glasses because their parents don �t have the money to buy them any... and I could go on. In fact, we all could go on.
Yeah it �s not always easy but yet, I still love what I do.

edit: I understand that you are going through a tough time but for some of our students, we are the only stable person in their life. You have to go on for those students.

2 Jun 2009     

marianmanu
Argentina

dear wilwarin, you don �t imagine how I can understand you! I feel the same as you, but with situations less important than yours. but I sometimes ( very frequently lately!) think that I haven �t studied so hard for years, to tolerate certain things! fortunately we are not the only ones!!

come on wil!! we aren �t alone!

2 Jun 2009     

anaisabel001
Spain

2 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

Studying never really prepares you for "real life"... and I am afraid real life for teachers isn �t like any other profession. It can be hard and unforgiving at times and yet so full of joy and laughter...

Please stay positive, relax ... go do something you enjoy and try not to dwell on the bad things.

Go to your happy place!

2 Jun 2009     

wilwarin32
Argentina

Yes, dear Manonski! You �re so right!!! That�s why they come to us... like the girl I told about. And yes, we �ve got to be there for them. Maybe what happened today was the last straw... or not. I don �t know what I would be if I weren �t a teacher... so I will overcome this. _Thank you all, dear friends!! 

2 Jun 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi wilwarin
I know what you feel; thirty two years ago one my fave students passed away; he was run over by a car when he was cycling on the sideboard. I still have his photo - he was ten and a splendid student; his name was Miguel.

2 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Wilwarin, I can relate to what you �re feeling. We all have our days. My students are younger so I have to say none of them has even arrived drunk.

What I meant to say is that all of us can relate to what you live because we live it all over the world. Teaching has never been an easy job but what gets us going is the fact that we are so much more than a teacher for some students. They look up to us.

Hope you week gets better. 

2 Jun 2009     

QueenJade
Netherlands

Hi Wilwarin!! I understand how you feel! Having been in this site for less than a month I �ve found really good people who are able to give you support in any situation so that you don �t feel alone!... And trust me you are not alone. This site makes the world seem so small! (I don �t know if you understand what I mean). No matter where you are in the planet... we sort of experience the same situations with students.... with life!
I can very well understand how you feel because we are not psychologist, but teachers... And it �s sad that there are so many students who are soo much in need of attention, love, a word, patience. I �m sure this hasn �t happened to you just because! Today we are bombarded by bad news on TV, newspapers, etc...and this affects us.  and yet we go to school and we see students in need of many things, not only material things!. So, even though we didn �t study to solve or to advice students who go through just terrible things..... We can be a possitive imagen, a model to follow, so that they know, even though many things in this world are upside down... there are still a ray of light!
You can be this ray of light for them...even if you don �t know what to say, just listening is enough! 

Hugs!

2 Jun 2009     

lomasbello
Venezuela

I think most of the problems nowdays is that teachers have to deal with the lack of love and values that most of our students face in their lives and somehow we play roles that do not belong to us. Most of our students are homeless and they are trying to call their parents �attention since they do not feel loved enough. It is reliable parents try to give more love to their teenagers since it is the most difficult time humans beings face in their lives. It is the time when they try to imitate what they peers do to be acceptable in their groups it does not matter if those things are dangerous or not.

2 Jun 2009     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Hello.
I was touched by your post.
You certainly are an emotional , caring person like most teachers who do worry about difficult situations which are the result of many things.Our job is often tough, this year I went through some difficult situations, namely, students who were pretty disrepectful, children who cried at my shoulder because they had been aggressed, a whole bunch of real life stories...
I just want to say to you that it �s absolutely normal that you sometimes feel overwhelmed by certain events.I �m also sure you will get over them!!
Hugs

2 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >