Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > erm, what decade are we in?    

erm, what decade are we in?

wolfy
Chile

erm, what decade are we in?

No, I haven �t lost my memory.

1960 �s, 1970 �s etc...

But what do we call this decade?

I �ve been out of the UK for some time so what �s being used. �There were several options on wiki about it, but could people from england tell me which is the most popular. �Thx.

3 Jun 2009      

wall05
Ecuador

The noughties (nowtys)

3 Jun 2009     

douglas
United States

Wolfy, I have no idea what we call it, that �s a good question--I personally still consider it "the turn of the century" like it always said in my history books when they were talking about the the years around the century.

3 Jun 2009     

[email protected]
United States

I �m in America but it �s the "noughties",  nought being used for zero.  You �ll hear occassionally that it is two thousand nought nine.  Here we pronounce it like (nawties) instead of the British English (nowtys).  I suppose it can also be spelt "naught".  More commonly in the USA, if you can call it common, is the 2000 �s.  "The turn of the century" is used, more for the 1900 �s.  Being sarcastic:  I think the "naughtys" would be perfect!

3 Jun 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Yes, it �s noughties in the UK, but I �ve never hear it pronounced �nowtys �; rather, it �s n ɔ:tɪz, as you would say in the US.

3 Jun 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Think global crisis - think recession - what is more apt than the double owes!

4 Jun 2009     

wolfy
Chile

ballycastle is that noughties pronounce like this:�

(as in naughty)

thx all for your help. �Too long away from old blighty.

4 Jun 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Yes, Wolfy, that �s right.

4 Jun 2009