Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Need a Game! Ideass pls!    

Need a Game! Ideass pls!

Little Miss Lady
Spain

Need a Game! Ideass pls!

Hellooooo, good afternoon to all of u! I urgently need a game to practice ordinal numbers. Any of u have ideas? It doesn �t matter if it is an indoor or outodoor game. Thannkssssss!!!!!

9 Jun 2009      

anadutch
Argentina

hI.!!!

yOU SOUND DESPERATE!!! JA JA

WHAT ABOUT  FLASCARDS WITH SQUARES AND INSIDE EACH SQUARE YOU WRITE ORDINAL NUMBERS.
nOT ALL THE CARDS HAVE THE SAME ONES.

yOU GIVE ONE  CARD TO EACH CHILD.  tHEN YOU PUT NUMBERS INSIDE A BAG  AND TAKE THEM IN TURN.

tHE ONE THAT COMPLETE THE CARD WINS.

Here in Argentina we call it Loteria.

good luck  !!!Thumbs Up

9 Jun 2009     

thinrichsen
United States

Hi,
I found a game that you might like. This is from the ESL HQ website:

"A good way of doing it is to write each ordinal number, either by word or by number, on a small slip of paper and hand them out randomly face down on the students desks . Bring in a stop watch, and tell them when you say go they have to get into a line from 1st to the highest number and then call them out correctly. Time it and then play again, telling them they have a chance to beat their previous time, though mix up the cards again.
Another way is to have a mini olympics in teams and award first, second, third etc."

Hope that helps to get you started!

:) Teri

9 Jun 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

Another one to practise the pronunciation is a game which I actually don �t know the name of - or even if it has a name.

Students stand in a circle and the teacher chooses an ordinal number, e.g. 21st.  Then the students take it in turns to say the ordinal from 1st... going around the circle.  The student who says 21st is eliminated.  Also, if a student says the wrong ordinal, they are eliminated.

You could maybe ask a student when their birthday is, e.g. 27th September and then the students have to call out ordinals up to 27th.  The students who says 27th is the next to ask someone when their birthday is.

Students like the game as it �s competitive, without being too easy or difficult (so great for classes with a big range of abilities). 

It also works well with the alphabet.

You can increase the fun / competitive nature by adding a second rule that if a student says two ordinals, it reverses the game back.
Anna : 1st
Tom : 2nd
Mark : 3rd
John : 4th, 5th
Mark : 6th
Tom : 7th, 8th
Mark: 9th....

T :)

9 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Hiya! Smile Perhaps this thread helps a BIT:
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=6096&page=1
I tried to look for a thread where someone already asked for the same thing and was given good ideas, but couldn �t find it. I typed in all the possible key words, but no luck. Cry
That �s why people should be more considerate  when putting (appropriate and specific) titles and key words! Thumbs Up

9 Jun 2009     

puspita
Indonesia

You can also create a list of floors in a shopping mall (as if you �re in an elevator/lift).  Put a general name on each floor (women �s wear, sporting goods, etc), then prepare slips of paper for students to take (cardigan, skirt, jumper, sneakers, etc).  Act as if you �re the attendant: ask which floor each student want to go, make mistakes occasionally so they have to correct you by giving the right floor.

Next, assign students to work in teams, and give them some shopping lists (pretending they are buying birthday/Christmas gifts or souvenirs). They have to plan the route efficiently in order to buy the gifts. To make things more �chaotic �, tell them that there are only on or two items available for each gift, so they have to prepare the next best thing to give.

9 Jun 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Here are some materials.

9 Jun 2009     

Little Miss Lady
Spain

U guys are great!! Did I ever tell u? :P Thank u all!

9 Jun 2009