Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > It’s difficult to predict how many people will download a worksheet, isn’t it?    

It’s difficult to predict how many people will download a worksheet, isn’t it?

Helen McK
Ireland

It’s difficult to predict how many people will download a worksheet, isn’t it?

Hello everybody,Smile

Do you find the points thing as hard to fathom as I do? Sometimes, I upload a worksheet which I think is pretty ordinary and it gets a lot of points and at other times I upload something which I think is good and few people download it . It�s natural supply and demand, I guess�and I know some people will say I shouldn�t care about points, but hey, I�m healthily competitive Embarrassed, as I suspect are most people, and I like to see my points increasing.

Helen

10 Jun 2009      

Zora
Canada

Hi there Helen,

Yes, I do....  A lot of times when I put up one of my Describing worksheets, I think that it will be useful and it gets fewer points than others in the series. And sometimes, I get something requested in the series and I make it up thinking that not many will use it - and low and behold it gets more points that the others!! Go figure..

I �ve stopped thinking about whether something is going to be a good downloader or not because I am mystified at times at what people want or need... Smile

10 Jun 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I agree with you, but some topics tend to have more downloads because every day there are lots of teachers in need of them to practice or reinforce with their ss, like: present, present continuous, present perfect, and pictionaries on clothes, kitchen, and school objects. If you prepare a ws with one of those topics with a great number of good pics and full of exercises to practice, add keys and a B&W version it �ll certainly be a high downloader. Very specific topics tend to be ignored, but I share everything I find can be useful, no matter if the ws will have more or less points.

Sometimes a ws has only 5 or 6 downloads but I feel gratified because I receive a special comment and it makes my day. In my opinion comments are more important to improve our work and cheer us up than the downloads number. Well, that �s my opinion.

During vacations I will prepare some wss for next semester and will try to prepare more carefully, because I �ll have plenty of time, but most of teachers here will be resting as well, so I expect very few downloads on them. Well, we �ll see...

Have a great Wednesday, tomorrow is holiday in Brazil (again!).

Zailda Coirano

10 Jun 2009     

elderberrywine
Germany

I �m under the impression that the more "brainwork" I put into my worksheets the less points they get here - and that the more colour and  little pictures I put into them the more points they get.

That is, alas, opposed to my personal style which is quite sober  Wink - so far for school I have made lots of very plain ws with a lot of hard work in them that made my students work hard too - and they always appreciated them.

Here I �m learning that a bit of colour and the odd little picture doesn �t do them any harm.

And thanks to Frenchfrog �s tutorial I have improved my skills of making worksheets more attractive - I spent a couple of hours this week on working my way through the tutorials. The first results which I uploaded with great pride yesterday can be seen in today � s contributions. Wink

10 Jun 2009     

Timar Marika
Romania

I agree with you all. It happens all the time that ws that I consider good are not as downloaded as the others. But as Zailda said, comments are very important. Yesterday for example I had two ws downloaded 60 times but there were just 2 comments so I was pretty sad. I always leave a comment, even when I am in a hurry, so that people know that I apreciate their hard work.�

10 Jun 2009     

Irineu Henrique de Lima
Brazil

HEY!!!!!! VERY INTERESTING TOPIC... FINALLY!! I COULD NOT AGREE MORE ABOUT THE ANSWERS YOU HAVE GIVEN.  I HAVE NOTICED THE MOST GRAPHICS, PICS AND COLOURS - THE BEST. I THINK THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE HAVE BEEN INFLUENCED BY VISUAL IMPACT TO DOWNLOAD WSS. ANYWAY, WE MISS LOADS OF INTERESTING STUFF WHICH ARE UPLOADED IN SIMPLE, B&W FORMAT!

10 Jun 2009     

rozianne
United Kingdom

Absolutely Helen,

How weird is that?  I �ve spent literally days trying to produce WSs ( - cause I �m a computer turd -) that got like a grand total of 1 download and then I made another WS in a different format that was quick + easy for me to produce. I thought I �d get like minus 2 downloads and it got hundreds!  And here �s the thing - I, myself, don �t even think my work deserves that number of downloads.  I mean, by comparison, my work is miles behind others.

What the heck? Shrugging shoulders + confused right along with you.

Rozianne.

10 Jun 2009