Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Do You Agree or Disagree??    

Do You Agree or Disagree??

Nebal
Lebanon

Do You Agree or Disagree??

Hello everyone,

I have a big question that I would like to share with you here.
Do you agree or disagree with this quote by Oscar Wilde? He says, " Pleasure is the only thing to live for. Nothing ages like happiness."

Do you think happiness brings pleasure or  pleasure brings happiness?

What do you say???

Have a great day,
Nebal

11 Jun 2009      

Spagman63
Hong Kong

That �s a sad perspective on life.  If you know of his life you will know why he said this.  Happiness is relative.  Peace is the most important thing.  There can be no peace without the Prince of Peace. Shalom

11 Jun 2009     

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

Quotes and Sayings MySpace Comments and Graphics
HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

11 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

I have to agree with it. What else is there to living that makes it worthwhile? Surely not pain or tears.

It �s the pleasure of shared joys, friendships, feeling the wind on your cheeks, the taste of fresh fruit from the tree, the sound of music, a warm bath, laughing with friends, etc...  Life is about enjoying things and trying to make the most of what we have. It shouldn �t be about sadness.

And happiness ages but in a good way, you can �t be truly happy unless you have lived and experienced sorrows and pleasantries.

Or that is my take on things anyways.... and I know IT has nothing to do with the quote!!

Smile

11 Jun 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."George Carlin
"You don �t stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing."Michael Pritchard
"Adding a new mourner to my funeral makes me happy" Harim
I hope we �ll all live to be happy and share our happiness.

11 Jun 2009     

Allisa
Bulgaria

People can �t be happy all the time. Our lives have their ups and downs and sometimes, when the circumstances around us undergo dramatic changes, we realise that happiness �s gone. My favourite quote about happiness is:
"Happiness in this world, when it comes, comes incidentally. Make it the object of pursuit, and it leads us a wild-goose chase, and is never attained. Follow some other object, and very possibly we may find that we have caught happiness without dreaming of it."
Nathaniel Hawthorne
Though the feeling of happiness is transitory, we can �t live only for pleasures. Whatever they give us, it �s easily forgotten. I prefer to have a moment of shared joy than hours of pleasure. When I feel desperate I don �t remember the pleasant things I have done recently but the moments of extreme happiness. Happy memories give me the strength to face bravely what is in store for me.

11 Jun 2009     

miss K.
Ukraine

I will not agree with the saying. If pleasures are the only things to live for, than you will not live for you kids if they misbehave and you don �t not like them?. That means having no desire to live if there are not pleasures but there are so many things to be happy about. Got something to eat today, got a job, somebody washed your disheds or kindly smiled at you? Then be happy about it. Sometimes it �s your attitude that makes you happy. Happines doesn �t age but things that make you happy may differ. enjoyed running like a wild horse in the childhood and wild music as teenager? In older age peacefullness or smooth moving will bring you much more pleasure (byt the way why not to rejoyce that you are moving in general?) If something makes you happy it means it brings you pleasure. but yes you �ll never be too happy or eternally happy without the Prince of Peace!!!

11 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Thanks Miss K. Well said. "�f we have hope in this life only, we are of all men most miserable". Paul

11 Jun 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

What makes happiness is that

We are older, but no wiser,

our dreams are still the same

And we fight for them.

When we stop,

we pass away.

11 Jun 2009     

tricia973
Uruguay

Hello Nebal!
Well.. what a question!!

I think this is a highly philosophical question. Any person could say this and that about what happiness or desire is...and their opinions are certainly valid... but valid for them, not for all the people, all the time...

In my opinion we should first agree on a definition of those terms since both mean totally different things from one person to another...

I must say I agree with Oscar Wilde this time.. but then I should be more specific about what happiness or desire means to me...

This is a good question to think about and look inside, an extremelly difficult one to discuss since we all tend to generalise about everything, though...

A final comment about Spagman63 �s comment... As I see it the hardest experiences are generally the best ones to help us grow and trully understand our nature. Taking that into account, Wilde �s life was more than rich... I have found myself being thankful for the "supposedly bad" things that happened to me throughout my life because I think those are the experiences which made me wiser and stronger... don �t you think?

Well... this post was meant to just thank you all for "shaking my mind" a bit! :) and then I started writing... lol I �d better stop doing so!

An enormous hug from Uruguay to you all!!

Tricia

11 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Thanks Harim for reminding me of the one ("Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." George Carlin) I first heard it on History channel and put it up on one of the classroom walls. So true. Just a few weeks ago I had my breath taken away ... and am still living on the moment.
Thanks, Nebal, for the post!

11 Jun 2009