Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > From the students ´ point of view ...     

From the students ´ point of view ...

Ivona
Serbia

From the students ´ point of view ...

It was my last class today with 7th graders for this school year, and after i had given them and explained their final marks, i took a piece of paper and tore it into slips. I handed them out to the ss and asked them to
anonymously write down what they liked about me and my classes, and on the other side of the paper what they didn �t.

This is what they said:
- You gave us good explanations and made us stay after classes to practise more.
- I liked everything about the English classes. I even wanted to be an English teacher, but not any more because i don �t deserve it. I �ve become lazy. I �d like to change myself, not you. (Ivana)
- I liked playing all the games. They were fun and interesting. (this one repeated a lot of times)
- Learning and practising through different games, which made the classes a lot nicer. It �s even become my favourite class. I liked working in groups, too.
- Your readiness help (explain to) everyone.
- Making jokes and making us laugh.
- Giving us a second chance (to get better marks after doing a test badly).
- Most of the times you �re the giggliest and funniest teacher in this school. I like your sticking to your principles and being authoritative unlike other teachers.

And this is what they didn �t like:
- You are strict with other classes as well, so their Class Teachers take it out on us.
- Revising Past Simpol and Past Continios every other lesson (the S �s spelling Smile)
- I want you replaced because you �re strict. (cheeky brat)
- Having to take out the new words from the texts on our own.
- I don �t like anything. I want English to disappear. (another cheeky brat-boy)
- Having HW every time.
- When you �re in bad form at times and too stern. It affects the class and our communication with you.
- You don �t put on make up and don �t wear high heels. Smile
- Giving out to us and making us clean the classroom. (i.e. picking up the rubbish they had thrown on the floor)
- When you make me act sth out and i don �t feel like it.
- When you punish us for running in the classroom. But you �re still our SUPER STAR IVONXY.

They wanted me to read the papers before them, and so i did. The �writers � revealed themselves and then we chatted about each point raised and given. It boiled down to this: although i �m stern, they respect me for it; i should keep up with fun in the classroom because learning is a lot easier; and most importantly, i must work on my moodiness and try to always be in good form for them, even to act it out if needed.

It was a nice experience looking at myself in the students � mirror. It was the most SINCERE one.
Maybe you should try it, too.

EDIT: Sorry, i didn�t mention that they eventually wrote in Serbian, because it was easier for them. They would have had to ask me about words and i would have known the �authors� then ...

11 Jun 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

I agree. I tried it a couple of years ago with all my groups (ages from 8-16)... I �m sorry I didn �t keep the papers though... Now they sometimes do it without me asking for it (shame on themEvil Smile- it �s not always sth I want to hear)... That �s why I prefer teaching kids to the politeness of adult students - kids will always tell you how they feel, so you know where you stand (like it or not)...not that they �re always right, thoughWink!

Btw, their comments were very much like the ones you posted here! I also got one about the high-heels, and also this one- I don �t like it that you �ve cut your hair so short, you look like a man...a real woman should have long hair... (TongueConfusedDisapprove)... but I also got this one (I CHERISH IT)- I don �t like it when you �re strict, but I like it that you �re fair, so we know you love us...CryHeart

IT TAKES GUTTS (or is it guts?) TO DO THAT, ESP TO READ IT ALOUD THEN, BUT IT �S WORTH EVERY MINUTE OF IT....I GUESS IT WILL BE ONE OF THE MOST MEMORABLE SCHOOL-ENDINGS YOU �VE HAD...

Anita

11 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Anita,
It �s one �t � in guts.

11 Jun 2009     

Kita19
Portugal

It �s really a nice idea! I guess I will try it! My classes finish next week.

It �s also worth to do this at the end of a unit. I deliver a piece of paper and students write what they liked the most and didn �t like at all in that unit. You receive lots of feedback to your work, because that way you can see what activities result better and the ones you should better take off of that class.

Thanks for the WONDERFUL idea!

Hug

11 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Thanks, spagmanWink

11 Jun 2009     

peiolei
Spain

Hi, Ivona. How old are your students? They write very well! Congratulations for their comments, I �m sure that you are a very good teacher!
Regards,
Paola

11 Jun 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hi Ivona,
I �ve been teaching for three years . Every year I do this as a kind of self-evaluation . My 8th graders enjoy it a lot. Sometimes I ask them to write their criticism on a piece of paper and then share their writings before the whole class. Other times I distribute lists of statements ( Positive and negative) where they tick the ones they agree upon as negative or positive .

Hmmmmmmmmm!! Let me pick up sth. from memory. Okay!! They are not the exact words, but bear the same message.

1- You get to know the pupils in your class and treat them as equals rather than people that are below your level and generally behaves more like a friend than a teacher.

2-You know your material and are prepared to sit for hours and explain something until we understand it.

3- You have a really cool accent, and you are incredibly smart . You have always been  open minded and wed have interesting discussions about things. You interact really well with the class.

4-  We love your style and your high heels. They always flatter me whenever I dress new clothes. I do really blush!!!

5- You are the first teacher who taught us how to feel and act out any situation. You taught us how to write rhyming poetry.

On the other hand this is what they didn �t like :

1- You always give us much homework and researches.
2- When you are angry, we hate you. You turn into someone different.
3- Sometimes you are very stubborn and strict that we can �t breathe.
4- You always trick us in tests and brings hard topics.
5- You ask us to practice much writing.

Those are some of the things my sts. told me about, but in my own words. I can �t remember their exact ones.

They also write me letters , give me CDs and flowers. Last year they made me a party. I almost cried. I �m so attached to my students.

Anyways, I �m happy and proud to be a teacher. I love my career.

Hugs,
nebal

11 Jun 2009