Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Articles on Linguistic Isolation? Please...    

Articles on Linguistic Isolation? Please...

Lana.
Ireland

Articles on Linguistic Isolation? Please...

Dear Teachers,

does anyone have links/docs/articles that speak about linguistic isolation?

I want to make a class around such an article.

I �d like the article to mention that speaking own language witihin a society creates a bubble around those speakers because the rest cannot understand them, and thus there appears a barrier and discomfort.

I hope it doesn �t sound too weird.

Thanks in advance.

11 Jun 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

I �m not sure I understand. Do you mean a situation where immigrants speak their mother tongue in a society with a different language?

11 Jun 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Manonski,

I have Mauritians and Brazilians in the class.
They tend at times to slip into their own languages and they speak
their own languages in the break.

I would just like to give them some information
on the fact that they basically isolate themselves from each other in this way, I don �t
want to brainwash them, but sort of just hint it that.

They put themselves into a bubble where no one else can enter: either teacher or other students, even be it for 5 seconds.

I �d like material about the power of language, linguistic territoriality, linguistic isolation. The more languages you know the more bubbles you can enter.

.......................................................................................................................
Did I just complcate it even more?... Sorry... 

11 Jun 2009     

meuge
Argentina

I don �t know..may be this is useful...

http://www.census.gov/population/socdemo/language/li-final.pdf

http://www.uwkc.org/kcca/data/Languages/isolation.asp

http://coe.jmu.edu/clemenrg/childexile/Linguistic_Isol.ppt

11 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Your question is tough...

I found this:

and I �ll keep looking.

12 Jun 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Found something decent, not quite what I need, but verry interesting!

12 Jun 2009     

arkel
Ireland

Hi Lana, I know exactly what you mean and I think you �re idea is brilliant. I can �t help you with links, unfortunately, but I �d be really interested to hear how it works.

12 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Aftab??? Any ideas? Any links?

12 Jun 2009     

anaisabel001
Spain

MAY BE YOU CAN FIND SOMETHING HERE.

www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1500943 -

Paul Siegel, Elizabeth Martin, and Rosalind Bruno KEY WORDS: English proficiency, language barrier, measurement error, immigration, Voting Rights Act, targeting

ABSTRACT

In this paper, we discuss the Census measurement of household language, English language ability, and linguistic isolation, review evidence on non-English language use, and consider the characteristics of households and areas affected by high rates of linguistic isolation in 1990 and 1980. Because data on linguistic isolation have been used to target survey activity and suggested as a means of focusing social programs, we consider several related measurement issues with important practical implications for potential uses of these data. Both policy and procedural uses of the concept hinge on the assumption that linguistic isolation represents a barrier to effective communication. The strategy of targeting language communications to small areas rests on the assumption that linguistically isolated households are geographically concentrated, but in1990 this premise was questionable. Moreover, it may be difficult to reliably identify areas high in linguistic isolation due to sampling error. Nonetheless, on the basis of our review of evidence, we argue that linguistic isolation is more relevant than non-English language use for shaping strategies for surveys which require a (single) household informant. The importance of language as a barrier to survey administration needs direct assessment.

CITATION: Paul Siegel, Elizabeth Martin, and Rosalind Bruno. �Language Use and Linguistic Isolation: Historical Data and Methodological Issues.� Pp. 167-190 in Statistical Policy Working Paper 32: 2000 Seminar on Integrating Federal Statistical Information and Processes. Washington DC: Federal Committee on Statistical Methodology, Office of Management and Budget. April 2001.

Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Statistical Research Division

Created: January 26, 2007
Last revised: January 26, 2007

www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1500943

Skip this navigation

12 Jun 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Thank you people, you are absolutely great helping away in the middle of thew night...
Bless you wonderful friends, I´ll be eagerly waiting to start my pc tmrw,
I´m afraid have to go to bed now...

Thanks for all those links all of you, I think I´ll be able to do a compilation of them and then hopefully turn it into a worksheet.

Good night. Heart

12 Jun 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Here are some general links.

12 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >