Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Etymology    

Etymology

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Etymology

Hi. I would like to start a thread about idioms and phrases specific to certain countries.  I would be very happy to have you contribute but I would suggest you use discretion. :)   For my first phrase I would like to offer the phrase "bucks".  This is a slang term for American dollars.  It has its origin in the trading era in the frontier days of America.  The term �buck � referred to a "buck skin" from a male deer (buck).   Since they didn �t have a standard currency they used the barter/trade system. An item would cost a certain number of "buck skins".  We often say, "Can I borrow five bucks?"  I also saw a former president had a sign on his desk that said, "The buck stops here." LOL
Does anyone know why English bills are called �quid �?  I often heard that while I was living there.  I think this will prove to be interesting.  Be safe.

12 Jun 2009      

kunter
Hong Kong

You will be pushed to find an accurate answer for that one mate unfortunately. There are many theories floating around but it is hard to verify as this slang term for pound seems to have originated in the 1600s.

The most plausible answer I heard was that �quid� was old slang for a Sovereign coin (fact) which is now the equivalent of a pound in modern money.

So why did they use �quid� as slang for a Sovereign? Apparently it is from the Latin �quid pro quo� meaning �which for what� or �something for something�.

12 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Kunter,
  �ello mate. LOL  Yeah, I was thinking of quid pro quo. :)  Thanks for the post. Care to add anything? 

12 Jun 2009     

Aimee/S.
Israel

Hi. What do you mean by "specific countries" - English-speaking countries? Idioms in English?
I asked my husband (South African). He gave me the expression "monkey �s wedding". Used in South Africa when the sun shines while it rains! Do you know it?

12 Jun 2009     

libertybelle
United States

How about passing the buck?

12 Jun 2009     

Portugal

"monkey �s wedding" - that �s fun. Here in Portugal, we say that the witches are eating freshmade bread:

A chover
A fazer sol
As bruxas
A comer p�o mole
See full size image

12 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I want to know the etymology of the phrase not just the phrase. Why is it said that way? Where did it originate? That sort of thing.
Lin Lin, No, any country can contribute just please explain the history behind the phrase.

Nika,
What does this mean? witches are eating freshmade bread. You didnt explain the etymology.

12 Jun 2009