Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > news on the "boy in the wheelchair"    

news on the "boy in the wheelchair"

jamiejules
France

news on the "boy in the wheelchair"

today I had a lesson with the new group I will get to teach in September (with the kid who has duchenne muscular dystrophy). And you guys were SOOO right: I treated him like any other kid.
i got them to ask me questions about me and they had to fill in a report sheet and bless him, he was the first one to ask questions, his helper was writing for him as he is not allowed to write (I found out today that he was capable of writing but he is not allowed in order to spare his heart as any affort of any kind is a strain...)
He was lovely and was really happy and I now what you all meant by "he will show you what you need to do"
thank you all for being such a supportive team!!!

15 Jun 2009      

Mariethe House
France

FA B U L O U S!!! So very happy you acted in such a natural and human way and you got this wonderful result! Bravo!

15 Jun 2009     

Isabelucha
Portugal

Great jamie!!! Really happy for you! A great teacher, who really cares as much as you do, will surely get along with that great child! Congratulations on your humanity!!!

15 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Fantastic - thanks for sharing this with us - it �s great to have sb to share things with when they �re not going right, but when they turn out as well as this .... well, let �s just say, if you saw me now...like stextmeCry because I �m so happy for you and him and the whole situation.....

sleep tight now - your soul deserves it...
Anita

15 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Heart Thumbs Up Heart
Heart

16 Jun 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Jamie

so happy for the little duchenne boy and for you, too.
Let �s hope some God is looking after him.
big hugs

16 Jun 2009     

roneydirt
United States

In this aspect kids are so good.  We adults have a tendency to take it the hardest, but kids kind of flip the hair and say "Let �s Go!"  Student �s like him you will remember for years to come and you will remember the good parts and the best hopefully, as well as some of the sad.  Where you put the focus is where you will find enlightment or sadness.  But in your words I see enlightment since you worried about doing the best for the student.  I do find it interesting they worry about the strain of him writing, but it also puts strain not letting him write.  Kind of a catch-22 sort of thing.  Now you say it was an initial class and you will get him full time in September just remember there will be good days and bad days.  Focus on the good days.

16 Jun 2009