Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > reporting to parents    

reporting to parents

jennybohmes
Argentina

reporting to parents

hi
I�m new here and I�m "new" working at a bilingual school.
 we are having a meeting soon  where I am supposed to report to parents about their children. This is going to be my second "experience" with parents and I am very nervous about it. I�ll need some tips about the "know how".
would you please help me with some ideas about what "not to say"?I teach to children about 7, whose parents are very sensitive.  
pls pls pls
thanks in advance

16 Jun 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

If the kids come too, let them present work they are proud and how they did the work.

If it �s parents only, try to twist things in a positive way. Always turn the comments into a helpful tips. For example, instead of saying the child never speaks English, say that it would be really helpful if he/she used the posters in the classroom to get started talking.

16 Jun 2009     

jennybohmes
Argentina

Thank you manonski for your ideas...anything else?
children won�t come.

16 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Well, I �m not there to prove myself. I am a professional and I don �t let parents bully me. I keep my cool and my calm but I comment on facts and things I �ve seen and observed. If I think I might have a deeper discussion with a parent, I double prepare.
In my school, students have to come with their parents. Usually, they present their portfolio and if the parents have questions, only then do I get involved.

Good luck!

16 Jun 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Dear Jenny,

Make certain that you have at least one nice comment to say about each student, even if the child drives you crazy. Years ago one of my friends, who was a new teacher, had a conference with the parents of a difficult student. Before she had time to think, she blurted out, "... and he has really nice ears."  LOL

Good Luck and don �t sweat it!

Carla

16 Jun 2009     

jennybohmes
Argentina

Thanks manonski  and  carla for your comments and ideas!!
Some parents ask for a private meeting for such a silly matter as "why some student left school and he didn�t even say good bye to his classmates including their son"Stern Smile

16 Jun 2009     

esl-teacher
Peru

Dear Jenny,

Is is you and the parents one by one or are you having them all together?  If you are having them all together, you must feel and look confident.  Remember that you are the expert and the one that knows what to do and how to do it!!! Let them know what you expect from the kids in the class and how can they help their kids at home.
If you are having them one at a time, always say possitive things of the kid even if he or she drives you crazy sometimes, parents open up more if they get the feeling that you care (of course you do any way, but it is important to let them know that.

Good luck with your meeting, I �m sure you �ll do great!!!

Beatriz

16 Jun 2009     

jennybohmes
Argentina

Dear Beatriz:
It�s a meeting with parents only, I mean the spanish teacher, art teacher, and the headteacher.
Some of the kids have been experiencing problems at home (dead of a beloved one or divorce) or have learning problems and in that cases some parents try to avoid resposability or pretend the problem is in the teacher, or the school.
I do have some positive to say about each of them.
Thanks a lot..

16 Jun 2009     

OL1N3
Indonesia

Dear Jenny,
I understand how your feeling is, i just can suggest that you need to set your mind as a parents � partner.  Don �t think that they are going to blame you about their child.  You must explain them that their cooperation is needed to help their child to improve.  During the meeting, it �s better if you start with a good point of their child made.  Then, you can continue by giving your suggestion for better result in the next term.  I believe a good communication will create a good relation. I hope my suggestion can help you.  Good luck, and always remember teacher is a parent �s partner to raise and educate the children, teacher is not parent �s employee, so take your part as a good partner Wink

16 Jun 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Jenny
I keep a record of my students on my computer from year to year. That way I can see if they �ve improved since the last parent/teacher meeting. (something you can use in the future)
To have a good communication with parents today requires a lot of skills and people knowledge.
An important fact is to get the parents on YOUR side and let them know that you are doing your best for their child.
You need to pave the way for bad new by always starting on a positive note.
Find something good to say first. Then move on to what needs to be improved.
I usually throw the ball back to the parents by saying, I need your help.
John needs to read more at home or remember to do his homework, and will the parents help with that so that John can improve.  This gives the responsibility back to the parents and also makes them your helper. If they feel you are all working together to help little JOhn become good at English, they will be much more co-operative.
Too many parents today think that the child �s upbringing is the teacher �s job, but it �s not. We can �t go home with each child to make sure they do their homework - right?
So, start positive, don �t waste time on small trivial things and ask for the parent �s hlep if there is something that needs improvement.
Everything can be said in a nice way - and you usually get better results.
Hope this helps
L

16 Jun 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I always follow this formula:

Johnny consistently contributes in classroom discussions. 
Johnny �s next step is to think through his answers to ensure they are coherent. (hehehe...JK)
Johnny �s next step is to put his thoughts into writing.
Then the day after the interview you send home a diary as regular homework.

Positive then the next step - is the best formula

16 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >