Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help!! Need techniques for correcting phonetic problems    

Help!! Need techniques for correcting phonetic problems

chiara72
United Arab Emirates

Help!! Need techniques for correcting phonetic problems

Hi
I am finishing my phonology assignment for my TESOL and am trying to find techniques for fixing phonetic problems of a learner.  I �m using a Sri Lankan lady as my learner and I think her most obvious problems are with using /d/ instead of /t/.  However, I can �t find any corrective excercises on the web and my papers due tonight!!  Can anyone reccomend a website?
thanks
c

16 Jun 2009      

Apodo
Australia

I �m not sure about corrective techniques, but the most obvious difference between /d/ and /t/ is that /d/ is voiced and /t/ is not.
With a hand or finger placed lightly on the throat over the laryx you will be able to detect a vibration when forming /d/, but there will be no vibration for /t/.
The position of the tongue is similar for both.

Voiced   Unvoiced    (These are some of the consonant sounds which are in pairs)
    d           t               
    b           p            
    v            f            
    g           k           

16 Jun 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Chiara 72

This is a common problem experienced by South East Asian learners.

You can find info on exercises here:

and

Cheers

Jayho

16 Jun 2009     

chiara72
United Arab Emirates

Thankyou, both of you, that was a great help!

16 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

To make the /d/ sound the tongue is farther back in the roof of the mouth.The /t/ sound is closer to the teeth.  Have your s feel where the tongue is in her mouth. You may have to have her open her mouth and have a look inside. lol Make sure she has brushed her teeth first.Wink  I often have my Ss watch me and where my tongue is.  Make up sentences with only one of those sounds then see if she can replicate it. Maybe for /d/ you could have her read: Don �t do as I did. Do as I have done. Something like that. Okay? GL

16 Jun 2009