Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > PAST PERFECT PROBLEM? CAN ANYONE HELP ME CLEAR MY DOUBTS!?!? =)    

PAST PERFECT PROBLEM? CAN ANYONE HELP ME CLEAR MY DOUBTS!?!? =)

aldanaVenadoTuerto
Argentina

PAST PERFECT PROBLEM? CAN ANYONE HELP ME CLEAR MY DOUBTS!?!? =)

hI EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

Is this sentence correct?

"she had had her car for ten years, but she sold it last month"

Can anyone give me more examples with the past perfect "had had"? Since I cannot think of any good ones and my student is having trouble with this one in particular.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

aldana

17 Jun 2009      

peiolei
Spain

Mary �s dog died last week. She had had it for twelve years.
I hope it helps,
Paola

17 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Before I bought a new car, I �d had a terrible, old, smoke-making Fiat, but I loved it.

My father had had a great time while working as a flight instructor, but then he became a pilot and everything became too serious.

Peter had just had a shower when the robbers broke into his house, so he just stood there, wrapped in his towel, dripping on the floor and wondered whether to put his hands up or not.

maybe some other people will have more ideas....
Anita

PS: your sentence is correct

17 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

from  http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv343.shtml

had had

Had had is the past perfect form of have when it is used as a main verb to describe our experiences and actions. We use the past perfect when we are talking about the past and want to refer back to an earlier past time, Madiini. In these examples, note the use of before, after, already and by the time as a trigger for the past perfect. Note also that the contracted form of had had is �d had.

She �d had a lot to drink and wasn �t capable of walking home by herself.

After he �d had a good night �s sleep, he felt much better.

She sacked him before he had had a chance to explain his behaviour.

By the time he was twenty he �d already had four different jobs.

I �d already had a word with Joan about re-locating to Manchester and now she �s had time to think about it, she quite likes the idea.

Note that past perfect forms are a feature of if-clauses in the third type of conditional sentence when we are explaining past actions or regretting past inaction. Thus, had had is likely to appear in this construction:

If I hadn �t had a good education, I would never have got this job.

If she had had children later in life, she would have been a better mother.

If I �d had another ten minutes, I would �ve finished the examination paper.

Had they had any savings they didn �t need, they would �ve re-paid their son �s student loan.

Anita

17 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hey Aldana...

"she had had her car for ten years, but she sold it last month" - is correct.

And just a short grammar lesson: The Past Perfect is used to designate the first thing that happened in the Past.

Example:

She had woken up early and washed her hair before she went to the market and bought some fruit.

When they got to the theatre, the play had already started...

John had always wanted a car until his sister bought him a motorbike.

Harry ate the soup for lunch, although he had felt ill that morning in class.

See... each sentence tells you what happened first... Smile

17 Jun 2009     

aldanaVenadoTuerto
Argentina

THANKS SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!

YOU ARE ALL THE GREATEST!!!!!!!!!!

17 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Nebal,
LOL You are a walking textbook.:)

17 Jun 2009     

kindlei
Argentina

Yesterdat I thought of many examples to share with you but I realised that you had had a lot of help!
Bye!

17 Jun 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

I have the same trouble with my students but once they realise that:

1  the first "had" is the auxiliary and so it never changes ie it is always there

2  the second "had" is just the past participle and therefore is acting like all other past participles

then they usually have no more problems.

It �s not really the past perfect that is the problem but rather the confusion over
 two "had"s.
But you probably know this already.
Cheers, Joy

17 Jun 2009