Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Trouble uploading    

Trouble uploading

Laura-Jane
Japan

Trouble uploading

I know this question is aked all the time but basically my files are too big to upload. I understand i need to resize etc and I do know how....except I am on a japanese laptop and can`t understand a thing!

If someone has the time to guide me step by step, i.e. right click, press the third from the top, etc. That would ba amazing.

Or alternativly is there another way I can rezise everything?

Thanks in advance!

Laura

18 Jun 2009      

sazzag
United Kingdom

It is only a temporary measure (you can only use it free 20 times) but you could download nxpowerlite and use that. 

18 Jun 2009     

crazy_turtle
United Kingdom

hi, I live in japan too!!! and I have to use a japanese operating system....

Here are some things I use:

1: (A little unpopular but effective) When you have finished a worksheet press the print screen button and paste the copied text into the paint application. Then "cut out" your woksheet and paste it into word. You can then change the size of the pasted item without effecting the file size. Finally, save the document and you will find it will be a lot smaller.

2: This is the best way for others using your worksheets. Use the image resizer found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

(in the right hand column a little bit down the page.)

By "right clicking" and selecting image resize (it will be the only option not in japanese), this ressizes the jpegs you want to insert into your document.

3: (thanks to Alien boy)
If you (heavily) edit a Word document that contains graphics Word will actually (generally) keep a lot of extra information that tracks all the changes that have gone on to make sure the correct images show up .

By copying your edited worksheet & pasting it into a new document you essentially start THAT document with a �clean sheet� so there is less stuff for Word to track changes in.

4: Finally make sure you are using jpeg images and not gifs or any of the other various other formats as they are nearly always larger. If you are using other kinds of images simply click "save as.." in the file menu and change the file type to jpeg.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!

18 Jun 2009     

DRPLEE
Turkey

Dear friends,

The best way to do this - to drastically reduce the file size of your finished work without losing quality - is easy, though a little fiddly and time consuming.

First you need to save your worksheet as a web page. Do this by selecting Save (from the menu) with a different filename. You then select Webpage from the bottom part of the screen and you don �t actually need to change the filename (this can stay the same because the file type is different).

Now have a look at the location of your file. You will see there is also a new folder associated with it. This folder contains the graphic images - which take up so much space. Open this folder and you will see that there are actually two copies of each graphics file in there - one is the original large file, while the other is a much smaller version which has been optimised for use on-screen.

Here comes the fiddly bit. Keep the graphics folder open and reopen your original word processed worksheet. As you come to each graphic, click once on it (ie, select it), then go back to the graphics folder. Look at both copies of the graphic and determine which is the small one in terms of memory used. Select the smaller one and copy it (with the right click button). then you go back to your original worksheet document and simply paste over the selected graphic. Repeat this for all the graphics. Finally, save the document, exit it and then open its location to see how much smaller the file has become. A worksheet of 1 or more megabytes can be reduced to around 100k! You can then delete the temporary web vesion of your document and the associated graphics folder (to save space on your hard disk).

Well, I hope you can follow my instructions. Unfortunately, the version of Microsoft Word I �m using is in Turkish so I can �t say exactly what the correct terms are in English. But I �ll sum up the method: save your work as a web page, this creates a new folder with the graphics stored in two sizes. Replace the original graphics with the web optimised versions and you will save up to 90% of the memory used.

All the best,

Philip Lee.

18 Jun 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Dear Philip Lee!!!!

You are a gift from heaven!
 Heart
I have been working on my new worksheet for a month and couldn �t get it reduced in size. I �ve tried nxpowerlite and everything in the book!
Your method took my 575 kb down to 235 kb in one go and it �s 4 pages long!
Thank you*
Thank you*
Thank you*Thank you*
Thank you*Thank you*
and Thank you!

best wishes
Libertybelle

EVeryone - click inside for great advice!

18 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Phillip, I tried what you said and I LOST quality. The smaller version of the graphic was so fuzzy that I could hardly recognise it.  I did get a smaller file but I had to sacrifice pixel quality.  So, it was not a good solution for me. :(

18 Jun 2009