Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Halloween    

Halloween

wolfy
Chile

Halloween

Hi there,

Did any other teachers in Chile, see that 31 October (halloween) is now a bank holiday.

It will "officially" due to the evanjellical movement here. �Does anybody else find that extremly ironic?

21 Oct 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

Are you serious???
Another holiday - and on halloween!  wicked...

Not that i celebrate halloween - although a good party is always fun to attend.  I just can�t get over how many holidays we get here!

Can you explain what the significance of this day is in the religious calender?  I thought that 1st november was significant due to being All Saints Day (or All Halo�s Day) hence we get Halloween from All Halo�s Eve.

Maybe I am wrong in my understanding of halloween - i am a rather unholy person.  I can sense a wonderful 4skills worksheet coming from someone out there in Eslprintable land...

21 Oct 2008     

wolfy
Chile

That�s the irony,

Halloween is a pagan holiday..

Officailly, the new bank holiday is in homage of the evengelical church in Chile. �They could have picked any day.
As for the significance of this day in particular... Nothing.

You�re right about the origin of the name, but that�s not what all the sweets are about.
The link says it all.

It doesn�t say that the sale of sweets, pumpkins and witch masks will increase a thousand fold thanks to the bank holiday. :)

22 Oct 2008